Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS messages don’t work on iPad

I have an standard setup with iPhone from which i send and receive iMessages and sms messages. iMessage is also set up on my iPad (set to receive from my phone number and iCloud addresses, and send from my phone number), but sms messages do not show up on my iPad and fail to send if i try to send from my ipad. What am i doing wrong?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 7:20 AM

You must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

More information:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I hope you find this to helpful in resolving the issue.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2021 7:20 AM in response to NateHVAC

You must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

More information:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I hope you find this to helpful in resolving the issue.

SMS messages don’t work on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.