Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS big sur Doesn't install additional updates

Hello.

I'm on 2014 MacBook air with macOS 11.2.2 installed.

Since I upgraded to macOS Big Sur last December, whenever there's a new complementary update available (currently it's macOS 11.2.3), I try to install it, but I receive a notification telling me that an unknown error occurred, please check your internet connection and try again).

Everything is ok with my internet connection. But the problem persists. Also, this occurred with 11.2.2. but eventually two weeks later, it installed. Why is this happening? Could something be corrupted?

ALSO, I used to - sometimes - download theses updates from Apple's official support page, but I can't seem to find any updates for macOS Big Sur in their support page....

Thanks for any help/suggestion.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 10:30 AM

If all else fails try the following;s

1 - boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take longer than normal as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2 - go to the App Store and search for Big Sur.

3 - download the full installer which is larger, ~12 GB.

4 - run the installer (located in the Applications folder).l

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2021 10:30 AM in response to JMPC

If all else fails try the following;s

1 - boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take longer than normal as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2 - go to the App Store and search for Big Sur.

3 - download the full installer which is larger, ~12 GB.

4 - run the installer (located in the Applications folder).l

Mar 14, 2021 10:22 AM in response to JMPC

JMPC wrote:

Everything is ok with my internet connection. But the problem persists. Also, this occurred with 11.2.2. but eventually two weeks later, it installed. Why is this happening? Could something be corrupted?

One possibility is you have an antivirus app installed. If so, uninstall it or update while in Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

ALSO, I used to - sometimes - download theses updates from Apple's official support page, but I can't seem to find any updates for macOS Big Sur in their support page....

There haven't been any separate downloads for Big Sur and it doesn't appear that there will be.

Mar 15, 2021 2:05 AM in response to dialabrain

Hello.

Thank you for your help.

Indeed, macOS Big Sur is certainly the begging of a new period in Apple's consumer satisfaction... I'm actually starting to regret having it installed. In any case, I'll try updating in Safe mode.

(as for the separate downloads, I wish they would made them available like they used to do...).

Thanks again.

Mar 15, 2021 4:49 AM in response to JMPC

Hello again.

Nothing worked. Booting in Safe Mode and trying to update my macOS 11.2.2 to macOS 11.2.3 didn't work. Tried resetting PRAM and SMC, nothing. Tried disc Utility and Disc Diagnostics, nothing. Simply put, I can't install that update.

I noticed that I have only 10Gbs of free SSD space... is this enough? It usually is... but I'm starting to wonder if I need to hame more free SSD space in order to install this update...

Thank you.

Mar 15, 2021 4:03 PM in response to Old Toad

Ok.

Problem solved: though my Mac told me that the problem was a weak internet connection, in reality, I didn't have enough free space in my SSD. I copied some files to my external hard drive and deleted them. Tried updating the OS and it worked.

Thank you all for the suggestion you gave me.

Kind regards.

Mar 15, 2021 4:04 PM in response to dialabrain

Problem solved: though my Mac told me that the problem was a weak internet connection, in reality, I didn't have enough free space in my SSD. I copied some files to my external hard drive and deleted them. Tried updating the OS and it worked.

Thanks for the suggestion.

(I was just wondering, how much free space corresponds to about 20%?) :-)

macOS big sur Doesn't install additional updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.