Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop TextEdit From Opening New Documents In Tabs

When working in a TextEdit document, creating new documents opens them in tabs instead of new windows. I think I may have turned this feature on accidentally. In any case, how do I disable it? I don't see any option to do this in TextEdit Preferences.

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 11:42 AM

Sorry, I have to clarify something. I wasn't thinking about the fact I was on the one Mac I have that refuses to open windows and will only open tabs. I just checked another Mac and I have no problems opening multiple windows in TextEdit. I can't fix the problem on mine so I can't fix the problem on yours.

6 replies

Mar 14, 2021 11:47 AM in response to dialabrain

Dial, you made me think a little bit more about this.

Since ⌥⌘N opens a new Safari window, I tried it with TextEdit; this does open a new window, even though the command is not in my drop-down menu. I don't see this listed in Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences, so I assume this is native to Textedit? Either that, or I ran a Terminal command to do this in ages past.

Anyway, thanks!

Mar 14, 2021 12:02 PM in response to dialabrain

Hi, dial -- our posts crossed.

I find it odd that I can't get ⌥⌘N to show up on the TextEdit drop-down menu (by holding down the option key, for example). I don't know if it's a weirdly-hidden feature, if I ran a terminal script some time in the past, or if there's something else I'm not aware of.

The exercise did remind me that I can add all kinds of menu shortcuts in the Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences. I might swap the commands in Keyboard Shortcuts, because I rarely want tabbed windows in TE.

Thanks --

Mar 14, 2021 12:01 PM in response to LonesomeMac

LonesomeMac wrote:

Hi, dial -- our posts crossed.

It happens.

I find it odd that I can't get ⌥⌘N to show up on the TextEdit drop-down menu (by toggling the option key, for example). I don't know if it's a weirdly-hidden feature, if I ran a terminal script some time in the past, or if there's something else I'm not aware of.

My guess is Apple left it out, intentionally or unintentionally.

Thanks --

Welcome.

Stop TextEdit From Opening New Documents In Tabs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.