Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie missing file original source media

I'm trying to figure out a way to archive my completed movie projects. - iMovie 10.2.3

If I move a project from the macbook library to the external hard drive library, it seems to go there as I can verify it in finder. However, the event and video clips stay on the macbook.

When I select an event, and then file/move to library, and then select a library on an external drive, it works fine. Using finder, I can navigate to the library on the external drive and verify the event as well as the clip file are there. I can click on that clip and open it! Then, when I move the event back to the local library on my Macbook, the file clip is no longer there. The event browser just shows a black placeholder with a question mark. When I highlight it, the preview windows displays "Missing File - file is missing. Try reimporting the original source media.

I need to be able to export completed projects to my external hard drive and delete files on the Macbook to clear up space. And then be able to import it back in if I want to make changes in the future.

Is there any way to archive to an external hard drive?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 3:20 PM

Events are called Events in iMovie, but an Event is exactly like a folder-- except that its contents refer to the original files in the Original Media folder in the iMovie library.

If you are in the media sidebar, all of the items under the library are event folders, whether or not they bear the same name as a project.

Projects in the iMovie app do not have any original media in them. When you consolidate the project media and then transfer the project, all the thumbnails of the media in the timeline and in the Project Media will go with it, and duplicates of the originals will go into the destination library.

If you insert a clip from the event folder into a project timeline, reference thumbnails exist in the project and in the event. The original of the clip exists in the Original Media folder of the library.

-- Rich

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2021 3:20 PM in response to DCDmovie

Events are called Events in iMovie, but an Event is exactly like a folder-- except that its contents refer to the original files in the Original Media folder in the iMovie library.

If you are in the media sidebar, all of the items under the library are event folders, whether or not they bear the same name as a project.

Projects in the iMovie app do not have any original media in them. When you consolidate the project media and then transfer the project, all the thumbnails of the media in the timeline and in the Project Media will go with it, and duplicates of the originals will go into the destination library.

If you insert a clip from the event folder into a project timeline, reference thumbnails exist in the project and in the event. The original of the clip exists in the Original Media folder of the library.

-- Rich

Mar 14, 2021 2:03 PM in response to DCDmovie

Projects must reside in an iMovie library and cannot be independently moved outside of the library. In other words, you can move the library that contains the project to an external drive, or you can transfer the project from one library to another. on your internal or external drive. To store an iMovie library the external drive must be formatted APFS or Mac OS Extended (Jounaled) -- the latter being recommended for spinning drives.

To transfer a project from one library to the other, open the projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and move your cursor over the project's title. A little circle will dots in it will appear to the right of the title. Click on the circle and then click on the Move to Library option in the drop down menu. Both the originating library and the destination library will need to be open in order for the move option to be available.

Another way to do it is to create a new library on your internal drive, move your project into it, and then Edit/Copy, Edit/Paste the new library into an external drive.

Before moving the project, select it in the projects browser view and do an Edit/Consolidate Project Media. Before moving a library, select the library and do an Edit/Consolidate Library Media. That should avoid the black placeholders with the question mark in it.

-- Rich

Mar 15, 2021 4:21 PM in response to Rich839

Hello Rich, and thanks for responding.

I looked into the "Consolidate Project Media" function, and it apparently this imports any relevant media existing outside the library, and brings it inside the library. I'm confused about that, because as far as I know, I have to import media in order to be able enter it into the timeline. At least that's the way I've been creating projects, so the related clips are already part of the library.

I tried creating a test project, and using the finder dragged it over to a library on my external hard drive, then deleted the project file from the library on the macbook. Unfortunately I found that the associated media clip still existed in the library under an event. This means I would have to move the project file and then track down all the relevant clips and events and delete them individually. Possible, but not efficient. Then when I tried to copy the project file from the external drive back to the Macbook I got this message:

iMovie cannot save changes to “iMovie Library.”

The storage location for one or more libraries is no longer available. The libraries will be closed so that no work is lost.

So I clicked OK and the whole library disappeared from the Macbook. Then I went to File/Library and found it there. I clicked on it and it opened up, complete with all my project icons, but now I get a new message saying:

The Library “iMovie Library” is damaged.

The item ‘Test event’ could not be read. You may close the library and attempt to repair it, or continue working.

I clicked on continue, and fortunately everything came back up.

At that point I escalated to idea of creating a new library for each new video project, and copy and paste that back and forth. So I created a test library, right there on the macbook. But when I try to move things around, they are simply going to the wrong place, so I decide to do a restart.

To be continued----------

Mar 16, 2021 12:10 AM in response to Rich839

Regarding the Consolidating Project Media function, it is just a precaution. So, for example, if you used media that is contained in a different iMovie library than the one in which the project was created, you would need to consolidate that media into the library in which the project was created. Otherwise the project originating library would just be referring to it in the other library, with the original media remaining in the other library. I can't think of any other situation where it would be necessary to consolidate project media. I suppose the situation could come about if you dragged a clip from one library to the other. When running the Consolidate Project Media function I have never found any media that needed to be consolidated.

-- Rich

Mar 16, 2021 1:43 PM in response to Rich839

OK, it's starting to make sense now. I've been able to move projects around to different libraries, both internal and external. My brain hurts, but I think I'm getting it now. Just a few more questions.....

When I select the "media" tab at the top, I see the library tree on the left. And when I select one of those libraries, I see a list of event folders in the media browser. They each have an arrow that can point right when it's closed, or down when it's open to reveal the contents.

(1) I'm I correct to call these event folders?

I ask this because the library in question has three entities in it - 1 event folder, and 2 projects. And there are 3 entities in the event browser, one correlating to my event folder, and 2 correlating to my 2 project titles. It's a little confusing because they are not identified in any way as to whether they are event folders or project folders. There is no color coding nor icons to identify them as one or the other. Those 2 folders that are titled the same as the projects - are they considered event folders? Or project folders?

(2) If I export a project to an external library, the event folders won't go with - only the media in the timeline goes with. Is that correct?

(3) If I insert a clip from the event folder into my timeline within a project, where does that clip file exist? In both the event folder and the project folder? Or is it just in one of those places and the other one only has a pointer or shortcut to that file?

Thanks for all your help!

iMovie missing file original source media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.