Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

high heart rate alert: >120 bpm after 10 minutes inactivity OR >120 bpm for 10 minutes

I have the new Apple Watch Series 6

In regards to high heart rate alert set to 120 bpm

The Health app says "Apple Watch can check your heart rate and notify you when it detects a heart rate that's above a selected threshold for 10 minutes."

The Watch app says "Receive a notification when the Apple Watch detects a heart rate that rises above 120 BPM while you appear to have been inactive for 10 minutes."

The first implies the heart rate itself needs to be elevated for >10 minutes, but the second implies elevated at any time after >10 minutes inactivity (regardless of duration of elevated heart rate)

Which is the correct interpretation/implementation?

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 5:04 PM

The second one.

Heart health notifications on your Apple Watch – Apple Support

4 replies

Mar 28, 2021 7:32 PM in response to LeoBloom

My watch showed a reading of 153 and I had been in bed for hours. My set upper limit for periods of inactivity was 100. I received no notification. I think the 153 rate was of short duration. See photo below. Does the heart rate have to be above the set maximum for some minimum period of time before a notification is triggered? Apple support states,

" If your heart rate remains above or below a chosen beats per minute (BPM) while you appear to have been inactive for a period of 10 minutes, your Apple Watch can notify you. "

What does remains mean in this context?? To me it implies that short periods of elevation above the set maximum will not trigger a notification.

Clearly, I was inactive for a lot more than 10 minutes before my heart rate went over my set maximum of 100, yet I received no notification of an elevated heart rate (153) of short duration. I hope someone can provide an answer....there is no Apple Store anywhere near me. Thanks in advance for your responses.

high heart rate alert: >120 bpm after 10 minutes inactivity OR >120 bpm for 10 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.