Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with using 2 Apple IDs on 1 iPhone

My old ID is on my iPhone 6 and I created a new one for my iPhone 12 Pro Max, cause I didn’t want to transfer all the data from old iPhone to a new one. However, I need my old Apple ID in order to sign in Apple Music and probably some other apps. I can’t cancel subscription on my old Apple Music account and create a new one, cause I have too much music there, I won’t be able to transfer it manually. Please advise, thanks in advance!

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 1:16 PM

It is not a good idea for a single user to create multiple Apple IDs as you are finding out. Items acquired with one Apple ID are forever tied to that Apple ID and cannot be transferred or merged with another Apple ID unless you change it according to:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

but that doesn't apply in your case. It seems to me that it would be a lot simpler to keep the same Ap[ple ID on both devices and simply delete the items you don't want to appear on your new device.

The only work-around I can suggest (if you want to keep this arrangement) is to use Family Sharing:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

but this is "kludgy" and you would need a Family Apple Music subscription instead of an individual plan.

Get an Apple Music family subscription - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 1:16 PM in response to 2_Apple_IDs

It is not a good idea for a single user to create multiple Apple IDs as you are finding out. Items acquired with one Apple ID are forever tied to that Apple ID and cannot be transferred or merged with another Apple ID unless you change it according to:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

but that doesn't apply in your case. It seems to me that it would be a lot simpler to keep the same Ap[ple ID on both devices and simply delete the items you don't want to appear on your new device.

The only work-around I can suggest (if you want to keep this arrangement) is to use Family Sharing:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

but this is "kludgy" and you would need a Family Apple Music subscription instead of an individual plan.

Get an Apple Music family subscription - Apple Support

Problem with using 2 Apple IDs on 1 iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.