Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange weird marks on iPhone 12.

So I’ve been having this weird issue. I purchased an iPhone 12 and whenever I put a screen protector on my device it starts to leave these strange wired round marks on the screen protector. Like in the middle of the screen. I thought it was my device but it wasn’t. I tried to change the screen protector 3 times I tried this 4 times but it seems to me that the device is causing it but I’m not sure can someone help me with this. If not I might just go to an Apple store and have it checked.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 3:27 PM

Hello there Icykevin,

We can certainly see the odd rings shown there on the screen protector itself. When you said you tried multiple screen protectors, were they all the same brand? Did you have them professionally installed, or did you install them yourself? If you installed them yourself, did you have a chance to reach out to the manufacturer of the screen protector?

The reason we ask is if the same thing happens even with multiple brands of screen protectors that are professionally installed, then you may indeed want to have your iPhone inspected just to make sure there aren't any issues with the device itself or ensure there isn't something under the screen putting pressure on it.

You can use this resource to help find your closest service locations: Find Locations

We hope this helps!

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2021 3:27 PM in response to Icykevin

Hello there Icykevin,

We can certainly see the odd rings shown there on the screen protector itself. When you said you tried multiple screen protectors, were they all the same brand? Did you have them professionally installed, or did you install them yourself? If you installed them yourself, did you have a chance to reach out to the manufacturer of the screen protector?

The reason we ask is if the same thing happens even with multiple brands of screen protectors that are professionally installed, then you may indeed want to have your iPhone inspected just to make sure there aren't any issues with the device itself or ensure there isn't something under the screen putting pressure on it.

You can use this resource to help find your closest service locations: Find Locations

We hope this helps!

Take care.

Mar 17, 2021 2:18 AM in response to Icykevin

If there are no marks on the screen itself, the problem is likely the screen protector - especially since it's a generic brand.

If you Google "iPhone 12 teardown" you'll see there is nothing circular in the screen that would cause this. Underneath that is the rectangular battery that's takes up most of the phone.

In fact, the only thing circular in the 12 is the magsafe charging port - but that's higher up, larger, and centered horizontally relative to those marks. It's also in the back of the phone, not the front.

What makes more sense is the protector is defective because of too much vacuum pressure applied during manufacturing, so the sticky surface is not consistent and the marks are only visible after applying to the phone. Between everyone in the house, we've gone through hundreds of protectors over several generations of iPad, iPhone, Galaxy, Surface, etc. and it's not unusual for generic ones to lift at the edges, form marks like this, and plastic being marketed as glass (folds and scratches easily).

I'd estimate about 20% of the ones we've used come close to the quality of a reputable (but much pricier) Zagg InvisibleShield or Belkin UltraGlass. Over time, we've realized if we're already spending $800+ on the gear, it makes sense to spend the extra 20 to give it good protection. For comparison, the "real ones" are thicker, have a smoother texture, and lasts a lot more drops.

So, I suggest trying a different brand to see if that makes a difference. If you can afford it, a good brand practically guarantees an answer to whether it's the phone or the protector.

Strange weird marks on iPhone 12.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.