Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Great old A1016 Apple Wireless Keyboard - just ONE problem on Big Sur

Hey guys,

I'm typing this on my old but great A1016 Apple Wireless Keyboard on a 16" MBP running Big Sur with all of the updates installed. No problems except that the keyboard loses its bluetooth connection after restart. Not the pairing, that stays, but the connection itself.

I read that in the past, Apple had firmware updates for that keyboard, but I haven't found any. I would (perhaps) be able to install those with my older MBP 17 running High Sierra…

Since writing is a big part of my profession as a filmmaker, I don't want to exchange that keyboard against any of those new ones. The A1016 writes beautifully and so much faster than the aluminum ones, and it is sooo "clicky" ;-)

If anybody has an idea about this, where to get that old firmware or with what terminal hack to prevent the keyboard's dementia, it would be really appreciated.

Best from Vienna…

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 12:50 AM

Hi Dirk, did you manage to resolve this somehow?

Also, did you have this problem on Catalina?

I just purchased the A1016 keyboard, it works so great with my 2013 MacBook Air (Big Sur), but this reconnection issue is frustrating.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jun 14, 2021 4:59 PM in response to Dirk van den Berg

Hi Dirk, were you able to get this resolved? This keyboard worked for me on Catalina, it was my secondary keyboard. My primary is out of commission and now I can't get the a1016 to connect on Big Sur. I remember hitting some keyboard command to pair it, this was two years ago. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Please keep me updated because it's a lovely chunky keyboard with good feedback.

Jun 17, 2021 2:48 PM in response to DCarlson93

I have done that many times but it doesn't change the basic problem: once connected the keyboard works perfectly well (and it is gorgeous, still). But every time my Mac comes back from deep sleep or from a restart, it won't recognize the keyboard and I have to "forget" and reconnect it. Really a minor flaw in comparison to many others. But once in a while it would be nice if Apple remembers the "good old days" when their hardware was still made in Cork, Ireland and help us users to continue using it even more than a decade and a half after it was produced…

Great old A1016 Apple Wireless Keyboard - just ONE problem on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.