Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook Author widgets in Pages (please)

We are recent converts to e- and iBooks, having been a paper publisher. We quickly loved the interactive qualities of iBooks Author, which completely set it apart from the competition. The whole immersive experience that is possible is just what Apple do so well. We included slideshows created in keynote, and scrolling sidebars that save pages of space for info and make the product simpler and easier to find your way around.

So why has Apple, who had a brilliant app in iBooks, downgraded it to something no better than a kindle reader app? We were aware that iBooks don't export to eBook format so are only available via iTunes, but surely developers can make the app better rather than strip out anything that makes it interesting?

Net result for us is we are delaying any upgrade beyond Mojave in the hope this will be addressed in future updates, but as a Mac user since 1990 I have a feeling iBook Author will be discontinued before long - in line with Apple's policy of not really caring about it's customers. Very annoying and frustrating. I have Catalina on a bootable drive so I can keep other things up to date.

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 8:26 AM

Clive_D wrote:

We were aware that iBooks don't export to eBook format

iBA has been able to export to the .epub format readable on all platforms since 2015.

It's not clear why you think you have to stay at Mojave, since iBA is fully functional in Catalina. Unfortunately it is no longer available for download since last summer.

Let Apple know the features you need in Pages for your books via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2021 8:26 AM in response to Clive_D

Clive_D wrote:

We were aware that iBooks don't export to eBook format

iBA has been able to export to the .epub format readable on all platforms since 2015.

It's not clear why you think you have to stay at Mojave, since iBA is fully functional in Catalina. Unfortunately it is no longer available for download since last summer.

Let Apple know the features you need in Pages for your books via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Mar 16, 2021 7:22 AM in response to Clive_D

We are fellow users in these user to user support communities, and neither Apple nor Apple product teams read or participate here. Consequently, why and product strategy questions directed to Apple simply cannot be answered.

The iBooks Author application was officially discontinued as of Aug 1, 2020, as Apple removed it from the Mac App Store. It will continue to work for those that already have it in Catalina and Big Sur. Mine works in macOS 11.2.3. We will eventually know through future Pages updates, just what Apple's plans are for Pages as a replacement for iBooks Author.

iBook Author widgets in Pages (please)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.