Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network printers get randomly and continuously disconnected after macOS 11.2.3 update

Network printers get disconnected after some time although I can reach their settings page using Safari or other browsers.

If I turn OFF and turn ON again the printer it connects but then it disconnects suddenly.

If I restart macOS the printers get online for a while but then they disconnect as well.

I tried to remove and add again the printer as well as resetting the printing system.

So in the end I tried to add a printer by its static IP address... This approach seems to work but I don't like it very much moreover I don't know how to apply it to the built in scanner of my multifunction printer.

Is it is bug of macOS 11.2.3? Are there any users experiencing the same problem?

Any workaround better than mine?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 9:42 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 17, 2021 9:10 AM in response to fiod3s

Hi Fiod3s,

This additional information has been helpful.

In that case, we'd recommend the following additional steps:

1. Make sure all devices are on the same network (2.4GHz or 5GHz).
  2. Confirm printers are still compatible: About AirPrint
  3. Restart all connected devices in this order; router, printer, and any connected Macs or iOS devices.
  4. Test printing: You could create a note in the Notes app or print something specific.

Note: If you're using a mesh network, remove all satellite routers and use the main router only.

If the issue remains, then you'd want to Contact Apple Support

Wishing you the best, cheers.

Mar 17, 2021 8:39 AM in response to fiod3s

Hello fiod3s,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you've had issues keeping your printers accessible after upgrading to Big Sur. We'll do our best to assist with this.

Depending on how you re-added the printer, you may need to get an updated software driver for your printer: Update printer software on Mac

Make sure the network is set up to use Apple devices and servers: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Check for interference: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

If you've tested the above, then we'd recommend rebooting the network, then the printers. Should it continue, then you'd want to contact the printer manufacturers for further support.

Hoping this helps out, take care!

Mar 17, 2021 8:59 AM in response to destiny241

I have upgraded to macOS Big Sur long ago without problems... this problem applies only to macOS 11.2.3 with 11.2.2 and older versions all was fine.

This problem doesn't apply to a specific printer... I have Samsung + Brother at home and EPSON + Brother at work.

I think it's a bug of macOS 11.2.3 something weird about Bonjour or how it looks for printers and scanners.

In fact other users are experiencing this issue, here is the link to a discussion thread on MacRumors about this

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wireless-printer-not-being-seen-by-macos-installs-after-some-time.2288040/

Network printers get randomly and continuously disconnected after macOS 11.2.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.