Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How reliably accurate and thorough is photos able to recognize an object within ones huge library?

If one has a huge library of images on an iMac or iPad, and they want to save time categorizing and filing different subjects from that library into folders, is photos reliably accurate and thorough in selecting each and every image that falls under the category that is selected? Could it miss something? I take it that the means of selection is based on AI in some way...

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 9:29 AM

Deleting Photos from a Photos Library

1 - regardless of where you are in the library, i.e. Photos, Memories, Favorites, People, Recents, Imports, albums or smart albums, select the photo(s) you want to delete and use the key combination of Command+Delete to move the photos to the Recently Deleted smart album.    Without the Command key held down you'll be presented with a confirmation Yes/No window regarding the deletion. 

2 - click on the Recently Deleted smart albums in the sidebar.

NOTE 1: If you're using Photos 1.2 or earlier use the File  Show Recently Deleted menu option.

3 - in the Recently Deleted album you can opt to let the photo automatically delete after the 30 day waiting period is up, delete them immediately or restore them to the library.

NOTE 2: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with the Delete key only deletes the photo from that item. There is no key combination that will delete a photo from a project and move it directly to the Recently Deleted smart album.

NOTE 3: deleting a photo from a Moment or Collection (the Photos window) or the All Photos window deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2021 9:29 AM in response to JZmark

Deleting Photos from a Photos Library

1 - regardless of where you are in the library, i.e. Photos, Memories, Favorites, People, Recents, Imports, albums or smart albums, select the photo(s) you want to delete and use the key combination of Command+Delete to move the photos to the Recently Deleted smart album.    Without the Command key held down you'll be presented with a confirmation Yes/No window regarding the deletion. 

2 - click on the Recently Deleted smart albums in the sidebar.

NOTE 1: If you're using Photos 1.2 or earlier use the File  Show Recently Deleted menu option.

3 - in the Recently Deleted album you can opt to let the photo automatically delete after the 30 day waiting period is up, delete them immediately or restore them to the library.

NOTE 2: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with the Delete key only deletes the photo from that item. There is no key combination that will delete a photo from a project and move it directly to the Recently Deleted smart album.

NOTE 3: deleting a photo from a Moment or Collection (the Photos window) or the All Photos window deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

Mar 20, 2021 12:31 PM in response to JZmark

Photos is very good at recognising the category of an object, but there are near misses. Humans are still better at recognising objects. But I really like to have the categories assigned by Photos as a starting point, when I am assigning keywords to photos.

For example, I searched for "Elephant". Photos even included a statue of an elephant, a etched painting, and a an elephant seal into the search result. Most results were correct, and Photos did not miss many photos.

Mar 17, 2021 8:32 AM in response to TonyCollinet

thank you much for your response....

If it’s not too much trouble, I do have a follow up question .....

...is there a means in iMac OS where certain images that were selected from a huge collection in Photos to be transferred to a folder can also be set up to automatically delete or be marked/tagged simultaneously? ... something that can automatically remove or distinguish those images that were selected and transferred, just so each can be distinguished from the rest as having been previously selected and transferred....

Mar 17, 2021 4:00 PM in response to JZmark

Sorry - that last question is not clear to me.

Are you wanting to export a selection of images *outside* of photos (eg to a folder on your drive) then remember which have been exported, so you can delete them from photos?

If so, the best way to do this is to gather the images you want to export/delete into an album first. Once you have them all in the album, you can export them in one step, and when you've verified the export has worked delete them (by holding down the command key while selecting delete from the image menu.)

Mar 18, 2021 3:31 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Sorry my question was not clear, but, yes, you did comprehend what I was trying to ask.

If I understand your answer correctly, I should select all the images that I ultimately want to export from Photos into a folder (that is ‘outside’ of Photos) by first selecting them and then putting them into an album within Photos (the moved files, thus far, are actually an alias of the original that are in the Photos library). Then I should select all those images I put in the Photos album and export them to the ‘outside’ folder. After that export is verified and complete, I should, if I understand this correctly, go back to the album (i.e. click on the album folder?), and simply hold down the command key while simultaneously selecting delete from the image menu. Supposedly this will simultaneously delete the same images in both the Photos album and the Photos library.

Was this correct?

How reliably accurate and thorough is photos able to recognize an object within ones huge library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.