Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not importing into Photolibrary

Suddenly my photos wont import into my photolibrary from my Nikon D500. My photo library (not iphoto) is on an external hard drive. I have the latest OS High Seirra 10:13 and Photo 3.00. I have just updated the firmware on my Nikon and also tried to create another library but still no joy importing photos. It shows they are importing somewhere but not into the import on my photolibrary. I do not save them to ICloud as I use the external hard drive for the photos. I also use RAW photos. What could be the problem.

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 4:07 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Mar 18, 2021 6:30 AM in response to Jeanuine1

Two possibilites I can think of:

First - do you have more than one library? If so is it possible it is importing into one, but you are opening and viewing the other.

Second - is the format of your external drive correct?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt).

File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Mar 19, 2021 5:03 AM in response to Jeanuine1

What version of Macos Do you have

To the best of my knowledge, Apple have not removed support for cameras they once supported. I suspect the Nikon service center have given you incorrect information.

You can see in this list that your camera is still supported in Big Sur - and their comments about a codec are wrong. No codec is needed for raw files. If apple supports it that is all that is needed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

Mar 18, 2021 8:57 AM in response to Jeanuine1

Jeanuine1 wrote:

Hi Tony. Yes it is formatted on MacOS extended (journaled). I have never used time machine.

You do have a backup strategy, right? There are only two types of hard drive: those that have crashed and those that will.

Time Machine is an excellent way to protect against drive failure and, more that that, accidental file deletion. With TM it's so easy to recover accidentally deleted files or files that have become damaged. You should seriously think about some sort of backup strategy.

Mar 18, 2021 7:04 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony. Yes it is formatted on MacOS extended (journaled). I have never used time machine. Ignore ownership is ticked and it is connected via a USB. No file sharing so not sure why it has worked all this time and suddenly doesn't import anymore. If I cant solve this I will have to go to Nikon Training centre with the Macbook and try and sort this out as I am super frustrated now!!

Mar 19, 2021 4:57 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I visited the Nikon Service Centre in my country today and it appears that the Mac OS is no longer compatible with Nikon software. I am shooting on Nikon D500 in RAW images and they are no longer compatible. We tried to find the NEF Codec to download to alleviate the problem but Nikon no longer appear to have one for MAC. So I have requested this from them and hopefully that sorts out the problem. Otherwise I will have to shoot in JPEG.

Photos not importing into Photolibrary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.