Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sure: increase the font size of open/save dialog boxes

Dear All,

after updating to Big Sur I noticed the Finder font was too small so I changed it for all the folders from the default size of 12 to 14. It works well when I use Finder directly.

However, when saving a file or opening one, the dialog box (still Finder, but invoked by other apps) is still at the default size of 12 which is too small for my eyes.

Am I missing something? How do I increase the font size for those dialog boxes?

Thanks for your help

See Finder, size at 14

See the open file box, size is still 12

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 7:09 AM

You don't. The Open/Save dialogs in applications use a System framework class that gives the appearance of a Finder window, but it is not, and knows nothing about your Finder settings. As it is not the Finder, you cannot alter font size in these dialogs.

Either you will have to experiment with your Displays > Scaled settings to enlarge everything, or obtain an updated computer prescription from your Optometrist as I did.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2021 7:09 AM in response to mirko1977

You don't. The Open/Save dialogs in applications use a System framework class that gives the appearance of a Finder window, but it is not, and knows nothing about your Finder settings. As it is not the Finder, you cannot alter font size in these dialogs.

Either you will have to experiment with your Displays > Scaled settings to enlarge everything, or obtain an updated computer prescription from your Optometrist as I did.

Big Sure: increase the font size of open/save dialog boxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.