Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reverting to an older iOS

Using an iPad Pro 4th gen wifi, iOS 14.4 has rendered an APP that I use for business inoperable. The developer has "received a ticket" to have the problem addressed/fixed, but it is unknown when the issues will be resolved.

Is it possible to erase my iPad, then restore to an older iOS?

If so, how can that be done? I have a saved backup with iOS 14.3, but maybe iOS 13 would be safest to ensure I can continue using this APP until Apple resolves the issue.

Does anyone have experience with reverting to an older iOS?

Thank you!

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 7:18 AM

It is not possible to restore an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS.

All versions are digitally signed by Apple; digital signatures of old versions of System Software are revoked by Apple soon after release of an updated version of the Operating System. As all digital signatures are verified as valid prior to installation, older versions cannot be (re)installed.

If you are reliant upon software that does not work with the currently installed version of iOS/iPadOS, you are totally dependent upon the Developer updating/fixing their App.

How to contact an app developer – Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2021 7:18 AM in response to OffLeash

It is not possible to restore an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS.

All versions are digitally signed by Apple; digital signatures of old versions of System Software are revoked by Apple soon after release of an updated version of the Operating System. As all digital signatures are verified as valid prior to installation, older versions cannot be (re)installed.

If you are reliant upon software that does not work with the currently installed version of iOS/iPadOS, you are totally dependent upon the Developer updating/fixing their App.

How to contact an app developer – Apple Support

Reverting to an older iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.