Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfert from iTunes to music

My previous 2011 MacBook crash and I replace it with a new MacBook Pro 13 with the m1 chip. with the old machine I was using iTunes on an external hard drive containing 375 gb of data. I am having difficulty transferring the data onto the new music app. What would be the best way to do it, I have movie, home videos and music when I tried earlier it only transfer some of the music and placed my home video into music video and did not transfert any of my movies

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 6:09 AM

Do you have access to a copy of your old iTunes Library.itl file? Without it you won't be able to recover your playlists, ratings, play counts, etc., but you should be able to import the media content on the external drive into the new Music, TV, Podcasts, and Books apps. You would option-start-Music or TV to convert your old library. Otherwise it may be best to create a new Music library on the external drive at <External>/Music, move your music into <External>/Music/Media, and then use File > Add to Library to import the music from <External>/Music/Media into the library. You would repeat the exercise with the TV app and your video content using <External>/TV and <External>/TV/Media. Podcasts and Books have hidden private libraries for media so if you import any content to those it will no longer be drawing from the external drive, though you could keep your copies there for backup.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2021 6:09 AM in response to didier160

Do you have access to a copy of your old iTunes Library.itl file? Without it you won't be able to recover your playlists, ratings, play counts, etc., but you should be able to import the media content on the external drive into the new Music, TV, Podcasts, and Books apps. You would option-start-Music or TV to convert your old library. Otherwise it may be best to create a new Music library on the external drive at <External>/Music, move your music into <External>/Music/Media, and then use File > Add to Library to import the music from <External>/Music/Media into the library. You would repeat the exercise with the TV app and your video content using <External>/TV and <External>/TV/Media. Podcasts and Books have hidden private libraries for media so if you import any content to those it will no longer be drawing from the external drive, though you could keep your copies there for backup.

tt2

transfert from iTunes to music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.