Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Passwords Are Locked" error message when trying to connect Mac to PC printer on same Wifi network

I have been following the Apple instructions to connect my iMac 2019 wirelessly to my Canon printer TR2745 which is connected to my Asus desktop 2015. I have already shared that printer wirelessly to my Lenovo laptop with no problems (all 3 computers are on the same Wifi network).

But on the Mac, I'm getting stuck on one step during the set up. I can choose the PC Workgroup and Name. Then I am prompted to enter "your user name and password for the print server" (i.e. the Asus computer). When I enter these and click Connect I get a warning "Passwords Are Locked" and a prompt to enter my password again. That gives me a screen called "Choose passwords to fill" .... and I don't know what that means. A couple passworded sites are offered to me, but they seem to be irrelevant to what I need.

Can anyone help me with this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 7:38 PM

I'm so relieved to hear your explanation! So I will just ignore this whole "Passwords Are Locked" issue and take it merely as a indication that the printer doesn't like the password I'm using. I appreciate your expertise, and I'll continue the conversation over in my "Hold for Authentication" thread. Many thanks :)

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 7:38 PM in response to Barney-15E

I'm so relieved to hear your explanation! So I will just ignore this whole "Passwords Are Locked" issue and take it merely as a indication that the printer doesn't like the password I'm using. I appreciate your expertise, and I'll continue the conversation over in my "Hold for Authentication" thread. Many thanks :)

Mar 20, 2021 12:41 PM in response to westcoastshore

Hello westcoastshore,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having some issue setting up your printer and Mac with your current configuration. To make sure we've got it right, are you following the actions outlined in the article below?

Use your Mac to print to a printer connected to a Windows computer

Best regards.

Mar 20, 2021 11:57 AM in response to westcoastshore

Update to this question:

On the screen "Choose passwords to fill", if I click on one of the offered sites, it will autofill that information into the field on the first screen where I got the Passwords Are Locked error. They would not have the right password attached to them anyway. And then I get the same error message.

I now know how to add more autofill passwords via Safari, but only in the format of website-email address. I don't know how to add a computer password as an autofill item.

I have now also tried the Guest method of connecting the Mac to the printer on the Asus computer. That method does allow me to install the printer on the Mac and send a job to it. But then the job is stuck in the printer queue on "Hold for Authentication". There is no further information given, but I suspect it's the same problem as my original one "Passwords Are Locked" problem above.

Or maybe the problem is just some little thing I'm doing wrong or have set up wrong, but don't even know I've done it? lol.

Mar 20, 2021 1:06 PM in response to westcoastshore

The "Passwords are Locked" message has nothing to do with your printer problem. If you open the Safari list of passwords to use one of those, it is initially locked so someone can't walk up and steal your passwords.

The passwords are stored in your login keychain in Keychain Access. You might try looking in there for your printer username/password and delete any entries, then try to print/login to the printer, again.

Mar 20, 2021 1:39 PM in response to KMB_12

Hello kareng12,

Yes, thank you, I have been using that document since I started trying to connect the Mac to the printer on the PC.

But when I use the method outlined in the doc (connecting as a Registered User), I am immediately blocked by the "Passwords Are Locked" problem. Which is why I asked this question.

But then later I tried the method to connect as a Guest which I had seen people describing on this forum. That is more successful, because I can actually get the printer installed on the Mac, but then when I try to print an item, it get stucks in the printer queue on "Hold for Authorization". So I posted a new question about that problem.

Mar 20, 2021 1:49 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney,

Oh oh, now I'm really confused! So if "Passwords are Locked" has nothing to do with the printer problem, why am I given that error when I'm trying to connect the Mac to the printer on the PC using Registered User?

Yes, I have gotten the printer username/password from the Keychain Access app. And I have already used the method to delete the Canon entries in Keychain and then print/login to the printer. The item still will not print, but it does give me a new Canon entry in Keychain. So that last little part is working right... :)

Mar 20, 2021 7:23 PM in response to westcoastshore

Oh oh, now I'm really confused! So if "Passwords are Locked" has nothing to do with the printer problem, why am I given that error when I'm trying to connect the Mac to the printer on the PC using Registered User?

When it doesn’t know what password to use, it offers the option to us another that you have saved. That list comes through Safari’s list. That list always must be unlocked.

So, it cannot associate the password you have saved for the printer with the printer request for password.

"Passwords Are Locked" error message when trying to connect Mac to PC printer on same Wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.