Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur refuses to download

Hello,

I am currently facing this issue.

I have a MacBook Pro (currently running macOS Sierra) which I wish to upgrade to MacOS Big Sur. I hence entered the App Store and clicked the download button to download Big Sur. Unfortunately, the app refuses to download and no matter what I try, the download button remains "pressed" but doesn't actually begin downloading anything.

I have restarted my Mac several times, logged out and logged into my Apple ID on the App Store and tried many of the other basic fixes. My Mac has over 400GB of free space and has a stable internet connection (and is compatible with the newest update). I am unsure how to download it though... Any help would be appreciated...

MacBook

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 3:08 AM

Does the MBP Qualify for the Big Sur upGrade.

If yes >> Suggest - restart Router and then Shutdown Computer and connect via Ethernet connection. Restart computer in Safe Mode - Shift - Key immediately at startup. It does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and load only Apple Software - load slowly - Normal. Once in Open Apple Apps Store and find Big Sur and download. Try not to let computer go to sleep mode or Screen Save to activate. Be patient as one knows it Big Sur is 12.18 GB size. There are often periods where it seems to pause the download , normal be patient as countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real Time could be 30 - 45 minutes. This can and will happen several time in the process. If all goes well. it will successfully download and attempt to Launch. Do NOT allow it to start - Quit the Installer. Check Applications Folder for new App called Install Bug Sur. Make a copy to External Drive - future usage. Now, restart again in Safe Mode - then launch the Installer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2021 3:08 AM in response to yohann.drego

Does the MBP Qualify for the Big Sur upGrade.

If yes >> Suggest - restart Router and then Shutdown Computer and connect via Ethernet connection. Restart computer in Safe Mode - Shift - Key immediately at startup. It does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and load only Apple Software - load slowly - Normal. Once in Open Apple Apps Store and find Big Sur and download. Try not to let computer go to sleep mode or Screen Save to activate. Be patient as one knows it Big Sur is 12.18 GB size. There are often periods where it seems to pause the download , normal be patient as countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real Time could be 30 - 45 minutes. This can and will happen several time in the process. If all goes well. it will successfully download and attempt to Launch. Do NOT allow it to start - Quit the Installer. Check Applications Folder for new App called Install Bug Sur. Make a copy to External Drive - future usage. Now, restart again in Safe Mode - then launch the Installer.

MacOS Big Sur refuses to download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.