Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Signing in to my iMac

How do I get into my i Mac , my apple ID and password worked to log on here, but the screen on i Mac does not accept my reset request.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 12:02 PM

You use your administrator's password to log in, not your AppleID. If you do not recall the password, please do the following:

Restart the computer in Recovery Partition by holding down the Command + R keys on startup, please continue holding down the keys for up to 5 minutes. Once it is in the Recovery Partition open the Terminal app (it's in the menus). Then type resetpassword and follow the on-screen prompts.

If you do not use a password manager, consider getting one. With all the logins, password other stuff we need these days it's a wise investment. Personally I use 1Password however there are others available.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2021 12:02 PM in response to catgateway

You use your administrator's password to log in, not your AppleID. If you do not recall the password, please do the following:

Restart the computer in Recovery Partition by holding down the Command + R keys on startup, please continue holding down the keys for up to 5 minutes. Once it is in the Recovery Partition open the Terminal app (it's in the menus). Then type resetpassword and follow the on-screen prompts.

If you do not use a password manager, consider getting one. With all the logins, password other stuff we need these days it's a wise investment. Personally I use 1Password however there are others available.

Signing in to my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.