Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot send group messages. Even though MMS and group message is turned on.

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 9:09 PM

Send a group text message

1. Open Messages and tap the Compose button .
  2. Enter the names or tap the Add button. to add people from your contacts.
  3. Type your message, then tap the Send button .

Send a group text message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple ...

10 replies

Apr 3, 2021 1:41 PM in response to Vivianmar

I have the same issue. I can message individual people (iPhone or Android) or groups with all iPhones, but I cannot send any messages to group threads with a mix of iPhone and Android users. I can receive messages from everyone else on the thread, but all of my messages show up with the "Not Delivered" error when I try to reply in the thread. I have MMS and Group Messages turned on. I've tried restarting my phone, resetting network settings, but nothing works. (on an iPhone XS with a Verizon plan)

Apr 19, 2021 3:20 PM in response to abbogato

In case anyone else encountered this issue of not being able to send group messages to mixed iPhone / Android groups after switching from Google Fi to Verizon, I'll share what finally worked for me—

Problem: Google Fi has iPhone users customize a few elements under carrier settings, but then if you switch to Verizon, you can't even see or access those carrier settings at all. I spent several hours on the phone with both Apple and Verizon tech support, but there's no way to change them if you do not have the Google Fi SIM card anymore.

Solution: So the only option with the above scenario is a full factory reset of your phone. [Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings] Then after erasing it, you have to set it up as a completely new phone. If you try resetting from your iCloud backup (like I did the first time), the issue will still persist. It has to be a full reset + fresh setup to fix the issue.

Apr 19, 2021 9:05 PM in response to abbogato

I have the same issue.

Funny how I spoke to Apple senior customer care, and they went through screen diagnosis and the. they denied this issue exists. This seems to be a iOS defect where Apple have released poor code .

Apple need to fix this issue in an iOS and stop saying they have no issue or that I am the first person to have this issue.

I asked to speak to the Apple consultants manager in which they denied my request and stated they were the highest manager available.

my iPhone is under hardware / software warranty and hence I request a new iPhone .

May 10, 2021 9:43 AM in response to Vivianmar

I had the same issue today with my iPhone12 Pro and Boost Mobile (T-Mobile). I was on PureTalkUSA (AT&T) until yesterday and all worked fine with them. I just called Boost customer service (their forums are full of this issue) and the agent said they had to deregister iMessage for it to work. She sent my phone a text with a number that I read back to her. I then power cycled my phone and everything appears to be working now. I wish I understood better what she did -- all I know is that my texts are always green now; blue is gone. I'm nervous about having to undo this some day if I change carriers again, but for now, at least my group texts are back.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.