Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access internal SSD different user

Yesterday I got home from work and had a notification about an upgrade, restarted my MacBook and the installation/ upgrade failed. I’ve never had this happen before. I restarted and it wouldn’t boot, wouldn’t start in safe mode either. So I tried to reinstall the OSX and it said there wasn’t enough space on the disk (which I knew, and assume was the original installation issue, I was just about to move files to an external HDD when the install started.

So then I tried to repair the disk in Disk Utility, no errors, and did an install of of OSX to boot the MacBook from an external disk. It’s working perfectly, except that I can’t see or access any of the files from my internal SSD. Basically, I want to delete/ move the files to free up space but can’t see or access them and have no idea what to do. I have tried everything, currently I have “custom permission” but this doesn’t let me see or access any of the files.

I have a backup, but I would rather not have to do that full process and am mystified as to why I can’t access files on my hard drive. I tried to use migration assistant to transfer my original user account, but again cannot do that due to lack of space on the drive.

Does anybody have any idea what to do in this situation?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 9:16 PM

Last update. I weirdly/ randomly found a solution (and am still confused about the whole thing). I was searching for a file on an external HDD, and it showed a similarly named file on the internal (inaccessible) SSD, with my normal username etc. None of this has been visible/ accessible even with view hidden files turned on, but I was able to access everything, delete a bunch of stuff and reinstall the OSX and now completely back to normal.

This is clearly an strange glitch and exactly what I suspected, no damage whatsoever to the SSD and I’m very glad I didn’t wipe it start over when the solution was so simple (and strange).

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2021 9:16 PM in response to StackedMC

Last update. I weirdly/ randomly found a solution (and am still confused about the whole thing). I was searching for a file on an external HDD, and it showed a similarly named file on the internal (inaccessible) SSD, with my normal username etc. None of this has been visible/ accessible even with view hidden files turned on, but I was able to access everything, delete a bunch of stuff and reinstall the OSX and now completely back to normal.

This is clearly an strange glitch and exactly what I suspected, no damage whatsoever to the SSD and I’m very glad I didn’t wipe it start over when the solution was so simple (and strange).

Mar 20, 2021 4:52 AM in response to ryousuke78

Do need a Second Computer to connect to offending machine via special Cables. Then - move some large files OFF the Offending computer to the machine being used to access the problem machine. In so doing - the problem computer may or may not startup normally This issue as I see it - the Internal Drive is so Full the OS can not function at all.

Other Option is to Create A Bootable Installer, boot from it and Wipe the Entire Drive 100% Clean of ALL DATA and start a new from Scratch - follow this thread

Mar 20, 2021 5:01 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks, yes I know how to erase the disk and do a clean reinstall, that’s what I’m trying to avoid. I’m currently running off that same SSD, there are no problems with the disk itself just that I can’t access the files to delete/ move to free up space and reinstall the boot system. I guess target disk mode seems like the best solution, just no access to another MacBook at the moment. Thanks.

It seems crazy to me that there is no way to access the original drive but everything I’ve found seems to indicate that. Also not exactly sure why it went ahead with the update in the first place, it will usually stop the update if the disk is too full.

Mar 20, 2021 6:23 AM in response to ryousuke78

The reason you cannot use your SSD is because in the update, (this is just a guess, only use this as a last resort) it was probably updating the boot loader and/or the partition map. The hard drive is probably corrupted, and the boot loader (the file that bolts up the computer) and/or the partition map or filesystem (the way the computer knows where different files are) As a last resort, You need to format your SSD first. It will delete all files on the internal SSD and yiou can install OS X. Make sure to follow a guide to do it properly, or it could lead to data loss. Make sure to format it as “Mac OS extended (journaled)” and “GUID Partition Map” You can now install Mac OS Catalina to your ssd, or leave it blank if you want.

Mar 20, 2021 6:51 AM in response to StackedMC

Thank you. Maybe I was unclear, but as I said I am (currently) using the SSD with no problems, just that I cannot access my files/ user account. I’ve done reformatting and reinstall on corrupted drives in the past, so I know how do that, basically that’s what I would rather not do if possible because the problem seems to be just that the drive was too full. I want to delete files on it and try an OSX install, but it seems that is not possible.

Access internal SSD different user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.