You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos version 6.0

I have Photos version 6.0 and am unable to update to 9.6.1

Am using Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.1

How can I update my Photos?

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 9:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 10:24 AM

iPhoto was discontinued over 7 years ago and is no longer compatible with Catalina or Big Sur. It was replaced with Photos so you have the latest version of Photos that is available.

Photos is now part of the system so when there's a system update released there may be an update to Photos as well. Therefore, there's a 11.2.3 update available and with it a Photos update but we don't know that specifically it is. Go to the System/Software Update preference pane and install the latest system. NOTE: Big Sur updates will require at least 12 GB of free spade in order to install.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2021 10:24 AM in response to shony001

iPhoto was discontinued over 7 years ago and is no longer compatible with Catalina or Big Sur. It was replaced with Photos so you have the latest version of Photos that is available.

Photos is now part of the system so when there's a system update released there may be an update to Photos as well. Therefore, there's a 11.2.3 update available and with it a Photos update but we don't know that specifically it is. Go to the System/Software Update preference pane and install the latest system. NOTE: Big Sur updates will require at least 12 GB of free spade in order to install.

Photos version 6.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.