Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full Dictionary/autocorrect reset?

Hi there,

so autocorrect is usually fine but lately it’s been correcting words that I usually spell normally. I’ve got plenty in there that are slang so to speak. But one of the most frustrating ones is when I try to type ‘I’ and from a mid click on my part and autocorrect not catching it I end up with “u”. I have never used that intentionally with this phone. Another example is when I try to write “you”, it’s not catching when I misspell and now has been auto correcting to “yoy”.

There use to be a place where I could reset it if it got bad but I can’t seem to find it. I want to keep using autocorrect, but it’s taking mistakes and running with them. Help?

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 7:16 AM

Hey there, CozyMiel!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sound slike you're wanting to reset the dictionary on your iPhone. Do you have any third-party keyboards installed? This can help us to narrow down the cause of this issue.

Another option is to reset the Keyboard Dictionary. To reset go to Settings > General > Keyboard. This type of reset will remove words that were previously added.

Check out the following support articles:

About the keyboards settings on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Add or change keyboards on iPhone

If the issues continue, you may need to try resetting all the phones settings. Here is an article on resetting your iPhones settings back to default:

Return iPhone settings to their defaults

"Reset All Settings: All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted."

Even though this step doesn't delete data it is a good practice to make sure your device is backed up. If this does not work, we may need to explore restoring the device once more, but making sure we do not use an iCloud backup.

Keep us posted on the results and have a terrific day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 7:16 AM in response to CozyMiel

Hey there, CozyMiel!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sound slike you're wanting to reset the dictionary on your iPhone. Do you have any third-party keyboards installed? This can help us to narrow down the cause of this issue.

Another option is to reset the Keyboard Dictionary. To reset go to Settings > General > Keyboard. This type of reset will remove words that were previously added.

Check out the following support articles:

About the keyboards settings on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Add or change keyboards on iPhone

If the issues continue, you may need to try resetting all the phones settings. Here is an article on resetting your iPhones settings back to default:

Return iPhone settings to their defaults

"Reset All Settings: All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted."

Even though this step doesn't delete data it is a good practice to make sure your device is backed up. If this does not work, we may need to explore restoring the device once more, but making sure we do not use an iCloud backup.

Keep us posted on the results and have a terrific day!

Full Dictionary/autocorrect reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.