Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos 6.0 - export failed, Cocoa error -1

In Photos 6.0, I can view the thumbnails of all old and new JPG images, but when I try to export some older images I get the error message "The export operation failed to create a file for the photo identified below: Cocoa error -1"

I still have both iPhoto Library and Photos Library in my Pictures folder, since the launch of Photos in 2015. At the time, we were advised to keep both.

Has Photos lost track of where the original high resolution files are?

Help, please...

(iMac 27" 2020, MacOS 11.2.3)

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 3:51 PM

You can also get similar errors if the photo has been edited with an earlier app where the edits are incompatible with Photos.

If this is the case, you can also resolve the problem by selecting the image(s) and applying "revert to original" from the image menu.

2 replies

Mar 22, 2021 9:03 AM in response to RossRicky

I think I've just found the answer to my own question, but just in case anyone else has the same issue...

When I select "Export 1 Photo", I get the above Cocoa error -1. BUT, if you select "Export Unmodified Original For 1 Photo" it works. I don't think you get the modified version but the original. But at least you've still got a high resolution.

Photos 6.0 - export failed, Cocoa error -1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.