You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset NVRAM on a newer Mac with M1 chip?

How do I reset NVRAM on a newer Mac with M1 chip?

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 10:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 8:29 PM

I believe you can clear the NVRAM on an M1 Mac (definitely works on an Intel Mac) using the command line with the Terminal app:

sudo  nvram  -c

Press the "Return" key at the end of the line to execute the command. You will be prompted for your admin password. Nothing will appear on the screen as you type the password. You need to press the "Return" key to submit the password.

I have not tried using this command to clear the NVRAM on an M1 Mac. I do know that the "nvram" command does work to display the current NVRAM settings:

nvram  -p

I still don't know how NVRAM works with an M1 Mac yet.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 22, 2021 8:29 PM in response to macuser1821

I believe you can clear the NVRAM on an M1 Mac (definitely works on an Intel Mac) using the command line with the Terminal app:

sudo  nvram  -c

Press the "Return" key at the end of the line to execute the command. You will be prompted for your admin password. Nothing will appear on the screen as you type the password. You need to press the "Return" key to submit the password.

I have not tried using this command to clear the NVRAM on an M1 Mac. I do know that the "nvram" command does work to display the current NVRAM settings:

nvram  -p

I still don't know how NVRAM works with an M1 Mac yet.

Reset NVRAM on a newer Mac with M1 chip?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.