Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extremely loud notification sound when using airplay

When I'm using AirPlay from my iPhone 12 Pro Max the notification sounds are extremely loud on the phone. I can't find any setting for lowering these sounds without also lowering the sound level on my amplifier. As soon as I stop playing the music the notification sound can be reverted back to a more normal sound level.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 11:11 AM

12 replies

Mar 23, 2021 6:32 PM in response to bmalm73

I have been experiencing this since the launch of the iPhone 12. From any testing I have done, it seems to be related to while either using/have used a Magsafe case or after docking to a MagSafe charger.

If you hard reboot phone without case on and play to Airplay, the volume of alerts, keyboard clicks and lock sound is normal. Once you put the case back on or charge to Magsafe, the problem starts all over and all these sounds go to maximum volume, even though alert sound is set relatively low.

Unfortunately, I have been consistently reporting the issue to the beta team but there has been no resolution even up to today’s most recent build of 14.5 Beta 5.

Mar 23, 2021 12:43 PM in response to i_rina

Hi,

No it doesn't make any difference (it was off already). Tried to turn it on but it didn't make any difference.

I have done some additional testing and these are my observations:

• Using AirPlay from the iPhone directly to my Marantz amplifier, which show up as a AirPlay device, will cause this behavior. As soon as I pause the music the notifications sound are back to normal. Starting playback again brings them up to a ear deafening level, even the lock screen sound is on a ridiculous high level.
  • Using AirPlay from the iPhone to my Apple TV, who then plays the sound through the same amplifier, but via HDMI, does not cause this behavior. Then the notifications sound stays on a reasonable level.

/Björn

Extremely loud notification sound when using airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.