Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI separate note by pitch issue

Hey there,

I have a weird issue I'm trying to figure out- when I try to separate a drum track into individual pieces, i.e. by kick, snare, hi-hat, etc..and I click "separate by note pitch" - Logic creates a ton of the same tracks, and separates the individual pieces all willy-nilly, kind of all over the place, not in one streamlined order of tracks. So it makes it really hard to go edit and clean up after the fact?

Anyone encounter this same issue? Is it something in my preferences perhaps? Let me know if you'd like more clarity and I'd be happy to explain my issue a little more. Thank yoU!!

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 5:37 AM

I GOT IT...or may have gotten it.

When I tried the same course of action but the KEY FOCUS/SELECTION was on KICK , look at what happens:

Do me a favor and run it back and make sure that when you SEPARATE BY NOTE PITCH, the track that is selected and in focus (when you perform separate action) is the Track Stack in the example above Track 26 "Silverlake".

Hope this helps and solves your query,

Eddie G.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2021 5:37 AM in response to EddieGrey

I GOT IT...or may have gotten it.

When I tried the same course of action but the KEY FOCUS/SELECTION was on KICK , look at what happens:

Do me a favor and run it back and make sure that when you SEPARATE BY NOTE PITCH, the track that is selected and in focus (when you perform separate action) is the Track Stack in the example above Track 26 "Silverlake".

Eddie G.

Mar 24, 2021 2:23 PM in response to EddieGrey

Hey E, sure thing!

So, here i have a drum track (from Drummer) that i converted to MIDI from the original drum region:

Next - i selected "Separate by Note Pitch" which i assume is the best option for breaking up into component drum parts, for better editing. I also just like the visual of having every drum part on it's own track.

But then this is what i get:

So you'll notice, it DID separate all the midi notes, but it went and made a Kick 1 track for each of the new separated parts, instead of separating according to proper notes. As it's only a Kick track, the kicks are the only thing sounding when the regions play, but oddly enough also the snare/hi hats etc below are playing their parts, even though there's no actual region with MIDI notes in those now.

Anyhow, hope that makes more sense. I've searched all over forums and places for an answer to this but so far to no avail. Maybe it's something in my preferences it's defaulting to that i'm not aware of yet??

Thanks so much for your help!!

Mar 25, 2021 5:33 AM in response to jewelz_hartwell

Hi there,

I tried the same on my system and SEPARATED BY NOTE PITCH and it worked perfectly. Something I noticed on your screenshots was that you started off with a "normal" Drummer (Silverlake - Duncan) but on the second screen shot, it morphed into all kicks.

Nothing should be changing here. You should literally get this evolution. Can you please try on a NEW session and report to me your findings?

Eddie G.

MIDI separate note by pitch issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.