Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring time machine Backup of iPhotos on Mac 2020 big sur

Hello

I cannot restore my time machine backup of Photos.

I follow the instructions to go into time machine, locate file, but the restore button does not light up.

My iPhotos was backed up late last year on a 2012 Mac 21"

Has anyone else experienced this?

Gary

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 1:44 AM

Above/below "today now" are arrows you can click to step through the different available backups.

Also to the right of the screen should be a clickable time line to go back to a particular date more quickly. If time machine is actually in the process of making a backup, then these might not be available, until it has completed. However if the backup disk is from an old machine you should stop it from making a new backup, as it might delete the old backup to make space.

(Time machine preferences, uncheck "backup automatically", and cancel any backup in progress)

for more detail, see:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh11422/mac

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 1:44 AM in response to OldCant

Above/below "today now" are arrows you can click to step through the different available backups.

Also to the right of the screen should be a clickable time line to go back to a particular date more quickly. If time machine is actually in the process of making a backup, then these might not be available, until it has completed. However if the backup disk is from an old machine you should stop it from making a new backup, as it might delete the old backup to make space.

(Time machine preferences, uncheck "backup automatically", and cancel any backup in progress)

for more detail, see:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh11422/mac

Mar 23, 2021 11:35 PM in response to OldCant

OK - you can't select the backup drive after you have entered time machine. Then that is just looking for a backup OF your backup

You need to go into time machine preferences (open time machine prefernces from the icon on the menu bar). Then click the "Select Disk" button and choose the backup disk with your backup on it.

Check that is now the drive shown next to the select disk button.

If you now enter time machine, you should be able to browse the different dates that are available on that backup disk.

Mar 23, 2021 1:36 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hello Tony

Thanks for your response.

I haven't selected a date/time and it does say "today (now)". (I actually don't know how to set a restore date.😊)

When I bought my computer, I didn't set it up from backup cause there was not enough room. So decided to restore specific data, including photos, documents etc.

So, hopefully you can help.

Kind regards

Gary

Mar 23, 2021 11:17 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Tony

Once again thank you for your time.

I enter time machine, but it doesn't locate my backup disk, I have to do that manually; I locate the backup from my old machine, locate the photos backup, the restore button does not light up.

The arrows don't move or take me to any older backups, even though there are 4 or 5 there; I have unchecked the "backup automatically" and there is no backup in progress

For something that should be as easy as click and drag...I am horrified it is something that can waste so much time.

Unfortunately, the apple support link you shared was well short of helpfulI.

Do you think that getting rid of Big Sur and going back to Mojave would help? The backup Im trying to access was done on Mojave...

Once again..thank you so much for sharing your time and helping me with this problem. It is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards

Gary

Mar 24, 2021 2:07 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Tony

Thank you. Followed your line of suggestions and was able to browse the different backups. Unfortunately the restore button would still not activate.

So I closed down the window again; followed the suggested line to my latest backup of photos; then right clicked on the photos library logo; the menu had a restore option; I clicked on it, it asked where I would like to restore; I went for Macintosh HD; users; me; Pictures. I was asked if I wanted to replace the Photo library already there or add a copy. I replaced cause I had nothing in the old photos. And it is restoring as we speak....

Thank you again Tony, you showed great patience and encouragement. Problem is solved.....

Hope life hands you a pile of nice bits.

Kindest regards

Gary

Restoring time machine Backup of iPhotos on Mac 2020 big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.