Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk First Aid Not Finishing or reporting error (report attached) on system disk / main disk:

This is the report of today, this has happened many times, with several results, but as of today the disk size also seemed incorrect (I thought I had more space left):

Report:

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted.

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1

Checking volume.

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the object map.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

Checking the object map.

Checking the fsroot tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

error: snap_metadata_val object (oid 0x60b4c5): invalid extentref_tree_oid (0x0)

Snapshot metadata tree is invalid.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Completed

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 6:47 PM

Since First Aid isn't even able to finish the scan I would be concerned that it may cause problems. The only way to resolve file system errors that First Aid cannot repair is by erasing the whole physical drive before restoring from a backup or clone. Unfortunately Disk Utility now hides the physical drive from view by default so while booted into Recovery Mode or from a bootable macOS USB installer you will need to launch Disk Utility and click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Erase the physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option).

Make sure to have a good backup first as this will destroy all data on the drive.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 6:47 PM in response to Norwegian_Macfan68

Since First Aid isn't even able to finish the scan I would be concerned that it may cause problems. The only way to resolve file system errors that First Aid cannot repair is by erasing the whole physical drive before restoring from a backup or clone. Unfortunately Disk Utility now hides the physical drive from view by default so while booted into Recovery Mode or from a bootable macOS USB installer you will need to launch Disk Utility and click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Erase the physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option).

Make sure to have a good backup first as this will destroy all data on the drive.

Disk First Aid Not Finishing or reporting error (report attached) on system disk / main disk:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.