Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio MIDI setup missing built-in output

I am trying to set up the ability to take screen recordings with internal sound but the Audio MIDI setup doesn't show the option for built-in output. I have Big Sur with M1 chip. I have installed BlackHole, tried Soundflower, iShowU, OBS, QuickTime etc. I don't think the problem is in the apps but my laptop itself.

I also tried to restart the laptop and login on safe mode but the problem remains. I have tried to google this and no one else seems to have this problem (or then I don't know how to google properly). I had the built-in output option on my old laptop running High Sierra, so I know how to function the Multi-Output Device.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 3:26 AM

I got this resolved thanks to the Apple Support phone line. I realised that the thing I was missing was the 'right click' on the multi-output device button, and clicking on "use this device as sound output".

Similar questions

4 replies

Audio MIDI setup missing built-in output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.