Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Greyed out icons

Hi there,

I'm using a replacement MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports - running Big Sur 11.2.3)while my machine is being repaired. Since logging in, several of my icons in settings are greyed out such as Family Sharing, Spotlight and Mission Control. I am signed into iCloud, music and app store but can't access the above or photos, contacts, keychain and mail in my iCloud account but can access everything else. All other devices are working perfectly. Any ideas as to why this has happened?

This seems to be an iCloud issue so I'm posting it here if you think it belongs somewhere else please advise.

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 8:29 AM

Rycharde,

Thank you for those details. In the screenshot you included in your original post it appears you have an icon to view Profiles preferences in System Preferences. Profiles would only appear there if a configuration profile is installed. If you aren't familiar with what a configuration profile is take a look at this support article for details: Use configuration profiles to standardize settings on Mac computers

Since configuration profiles can be used to manage which settings can be accessed and used on a device, it's very possible a profile is causing your settings to be greyed out. As you'll see in the support article above, there is a way to manually remove a configuration profile. Try removing the profile to see if that resolves the issue. If you aren't able to remove it you may need to reach out to the person who installed it.

Let us know what you discover.

Take Care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2021 8:29 AM in response to Rycharde-Thea Everley__

Rycharde,

Thank you for those details. In the screenshot you included in your original post it appears you have an icon to view Profiles preferences in System Preferences. Profiles would only appear there if a configuration profile is installed. If you aren't familiar with what a configuration profile is take a look at this support article for details: Use configuration profiles to standardize settings on Mac computers

Since configuration profiles can be used to manage which settings can be accessed and used on a device, it's very possible a profile is causing your settings to be greyed out. As you'll see in the support article above, there is a way to manually remove a configuration profile. Try removing the profile to see if that resolves the issue. If you aren't able to remove it you may need to reach out to the person who installed it.

Let us know what you discover.

Take Care!

Mar 24, 2021 2:06 PM in response to Rycharde-Thea Everley__

Hello Rycharde,

It sounds like you are unable to access some of the items synced with iCloud. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

First, let's go ahead and restart your Mac: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

If the issue persists, It's possible that your Mac is still syncing if you just logged in. When did you login into this device? Also, do you currently have a strong internet connection?

Cheers!

Mar 24, 2021 8:21 PM in response to sterling r

Thank you for your reply.

I first logged in on Friday and my desktop successfully downloaded and I'm signed into the app store, music, iCloud etc. I have logged out, shut down and restarted the computer again.

Unfortunately I still have the same issue with certain areas greyed out: Family Sharing; Spotlight and Mission Control etc

My internet connection is very strong, I'm currently at work with blazing speeds :-)

iPad, iPhone both logged in with the same details and no issues.

All advice is welcome.

Greyed out icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.