Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete system storage

How can I delete system storage?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 6:39 PM

Just to clarify, by system storage, are you referring to System Files within the system storage page on Settings.

Sometimes within this field, there can be quite a large amount of excessive storage - such as 9GB or 15GB, so the best way to deal with this is to enable the setting that offloads apps that are never used. Now when doing so keep in mind that you aren't deleting the app data. All you are deleting is the app itself. And the application won't disappear from the iPhone home screen either. It will still be there with a download icon next to it indicating that it has been offloaded.

This can help to create much more storage available for your iPhone.

Sometimes this can help but it won't actually remove any system files. What these system files contain could be anything from leftover software update files or temp files or any cached files.

One method I have seen that could be a way of reducing this large amount of system files is to plug your iPhone into a device that has iTunes installed and make sure to open the device settings within iTunes and then leave the phone plugged in and unlocked. What this does is sometimes it can clean out the system files in your iPhone by validating them through the iTunes store.

If this doesn't work, the only other option is to back up your iPhone and erase all content and settings and do a full system restore.

This method did work for me in the past, however, your situation could be slightly different.

Let me know how you go :)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2021 6:39 PM in response to AidenRa

Just to clarify, by system storage, are you referring to System Files within the system storage page on Settings.

Sometimes within this field, there can be quite a large amount of excessive storage - such as 9GB or 15GB, so the best way to deal with this is to enable the setting that offloads apps that are never used. Now when doing so keep in mind that you aren't deleting the app data. All you are deleting is the app itself. And the application won't disappear from the iPhone home screen either. It will still be there with a download icon next to it indicating that it has been offloaded.

This can help to create much more storage available for your iPhone.

Sometimes this can help but it won't actually remove any system files. What these system files contain could be anything from leftover software update files or temp files or any cached files.

One method I have seen that could be a way of reducing this large amount of system files is to plug your iPhone into a device that has iTunes installed and make sure to open the device settings within iTunes and then leave the phone plugged in and unlocked. What this does is sometimes it can clean out the system files in your iPhone by validating them through the iTunes store.

If this doesn't work, the only other option is to back up your iPhone and erase all content and settings and do a full system restore.

This method did work for me in the past, however, your situation could be slightly different.

Let me know how you go :)

How can I delete system storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.