Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I re-Install the Maps App on my Mac?

I have an M1 MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 8:31 AM

Thanks everyone, and a special thanks to DiZoE. I tried everything here, including a full erase and reconstruction from scratch. Did not work. Until I tried this" "de-selecting “Maps” from System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options". That made Maps work instantly. Still not sure why but I will try different things here, but in the meantime, it works! Thank you!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 8:31 AM in response to DiZoE

Thanks everyone, and a special thanks to DiZoE. I tried everything here, including a full erase and reconstruction from scratch. Did not work. Until I tried this" "de-selecting “Maps” from System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options". That made Maps work instantly. Still not sure why but I will try different things here, but in the meantime, it works! Thank you!

Mar 26, 2021 12:19 PM in response to PRouleau

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

That being said uninstall MacScan and TotalAV according to the developer's instructions.

You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware akpp Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For the mentioned software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains macscan

2 - Name contains securemac

3 - Name contains total

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

Also you've got 15 GB of swap files for memory. Rebooting frequjently, with awn SSD drive it doesn't take any time at all, will help with the memory and general overall performance.

Your Zoom app is crashing. Make sure you have the latest version - one was just released yesterday or today.

Mar 25, 2021 2:20 PM in response to PRouleau

Have you installed or run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac?

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Mar 26, 2021 11:33 PM in response to PRouleau

Hey again!

Can you say if there’s a difference de-selecting “Maps” from System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options? (If it’s in fact enabled)?

Although this is a widely known/used developer, I’ve known Global Protect software to cause problems related to internet connectivity, although as the issue happens with no internet connected, maybe unrelated in your case.

One place I’ve checked for similar problems, just as a test is System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.

Unlock, de-select, or even remove any enabled third party apps > Restart and test.

Also a good place to look is the login items:

System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items. Take a screen shot, then remove them all by pressing the “-“ Restart > Test.

Those are just hunches, that report you posted may reveal more info, but as far as the basics:

I know from your other post, the same happens in safe boot, which may exclude user installed software, or indicate file system damage.

Does the same happen in a new user/admin account? This may be revealing, as if it works fine in another user, then Reinstalling the OS will do no good, in fact, it would most likely indicate an issue with your user profile, possibly:

Permissions

An issue with files in your user library, (Cache/Internet Plugins)

Or apps you are having launch upon login, (Those Login Items), etc.

How do I re-Install the Maps App on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.