Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I export HEVC from Final Cut Pro X? Gone after update.

In the past I've been able to export to a "Vimeo" share destination in FCPX. This worked great. It let me set the frame size and codec, ie h264 or h265.

That destination and codec option seems to have disappeared in Final Cut Pro X 10.15.

I don't like exporting for Vimeo via Compressor because in the past, I've had problems. The Compressor output was turning all my Flow edits into hard cuts a few months ago.

But now it seems like Compressor is the only way to get an h265 / HEVC export going. It was a lifesaver before because my Vimeo account has an upload limit and I'm always pushing it.

So, I'm trying this latest version of Compressor to do an export because FCPX seems to have taken away HEVC as a codec option.

I know, I know, I should output ProRes masters and then use that to convert to h265 in Compressor. But it used to work fine until a few months ago. And that's another step I have to babysit.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 9:49 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 27, 2021 1:07 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes, thanks Tom! I just discovered that too, and although I'm wary of changing a tried-and-true, mission-critical, deadline-driven process at the whims of some obscure Apple decision-makers, this seems to work so far.

The weirdness around Compressor killing my Flow edits has made me very nervous about switching up what I know works. I sent several drafts to a client without noticing that issue, and they kept asking about jumpy edits that I thought I had finessed. Rather than looking at the Vimeo upload to see what they were talking about, I went back to FCPX and tried to keep making them even smoother and less noticeable. It was driving me bonkers until I finally watched the Vimeo version and went "WTH?"

How do I export HEVC from Final Cut Pro X? Gone after update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.