You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV Apps

I have two AppleTV devices for each of our two TVs. Several days ago, the NBC app vanished from my older device’s homescreen. This older device has all apss preloaded. What can I do to restore this app?

Apple TV (2nd gen)

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 5:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 10:16 AM

Thanks Urquhart124. That’s what I suspected happened— that NBC has quit supporting the version of their app that was compatible with the older, pre TvOS AppleTV OS. I did check to ensure the app wasn’t just inadvertently hidden though; good suggestion. My better half is disappointed she can’t watch her soap while she gets ready in the morning though lol. That’s about all we use this App for on this bedroom unit. Further exacerbated by my Dish TV subscription dropping NBC as NBC demands higher costs to Dish. Anyway, appreciate the prompt response and advice. Take Care.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2021 10:16 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks Urquhart124. That’s what I suspected happened— that NBC has quit supporting the version of their app that was compatible with the older, pre TvOS AppleTV OS. I did check to ensure the app wasn’t just inadvertently hidden though; good suggestion. My better half is disappointed she can’t watch her soap while she gets ready in the morning though lol. That’s about all we use this App for on this bedroom unit. Further exacerbated by my Dish TV subscription dropping NBC as NBC demands higher costs to Dish. Anyway, appreciate the prompt response and advice. Take Care.

Mar 25, 2021 7:14 PM in response to Dale_from_Oreland

The Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) have their ‘apps’ pushed through servers. Users can show or hide app icons, but truly removed icons can’t be restored. If a content provider ends support for a service for your model device, then the icon will be removed, and that can’t be brought back.

On Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), you can unhide apps from Settings﹥Main Menu﹥, if those were (accidentally) set to hidden.

Mar 25, 2021 5:32 PM in response to Dale_from_Oreland

Hi! Try going to the iTunes Store within Apple TV on the one that is missing the app. Search for it and re-download it. You may have to sign-in again. If you had the app linked to your iCloud, it should have also saved the data. However, since it's a news app, generally you shouldn't need anything other that just downloading it again.

Let me know how it goes.

AppleTV Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.