Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" iMac mid 2017, no power

My mid-2017, 27" iMac shows no power when the button is pushed.

It was running great until I updated from Catalina to Big Sir.

During installation only went about 25% and the screen froze.

Tried everything in the book, and tried with a very knowledgeable

service tech from Apple. Could not come up with a solution.

So I made the very big mistake of taking it to an Apple store for service.

After getting it back they said they have no idea what is wrong.

After taking it home and plugging it in it had no power, nothing. They said they

did nothing except got it to a point where there was no power and said come pick it up.

Apple store tech said it was because I updated the ram from 32G

to 64G. One comment was because it was not Apple ram it caused the problem.

However, it ran fine for 2 years after updating. Replaced hard drive and nothing,

no power, don't know where to go from here, any ideas, tried reinstalling original ram but nothing.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 8:36 AM

Uninstall the upgraded RAM you put in, you have told us where you got the RAM and what brand and the specifications of it. Then plug the Mac into another power source (that you know works) and retest. If the computer boots up then you know it is the RAM you installed. iMacs are VERY sensitive to using quality RAM and experienced users on these forums will tell you to only use either Crucial.com or Macsales.com RAM and to buy direct from these sources!

You can also take it to an independent Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area to have it diagnosed if you are unhappy with the Apple Store you took it to. Was it a genuine Apple Store or a reseller???

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 8:36 AM in response to shadow540

Uninstall the upgraded RAM you put in, you have told us where you got the RAM and what brand and the specifications of it. Then plug the Mac into another power source (that you know works) and retest. If the computer boots up then you know it is the RAM you installed. iMacs are VERY sensitive to using quality RAM and experienced users on these forums will tell you to only use either Crucial.com or Macsales.com RAM and to buy direct from these sources!

You can also take it to an independent Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area to have it diagnosed if you are unhappy with the Apple Store you took it to. Was it a genuine Apple Store or a reseller???

27" iMac mid 2017, no power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.