Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my MacBook Air 2020 (M1 Chip) doesn't work of F4, F5, F6 which are spotlight, dictation and do not disturb mode on Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys mode?

Why my MacBook Air 2020 (M1 Chip) doesn't work on F4, F5, F6 which are the spotlight, dictation and do not disturb mode on Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys mode?

And how to activate for using those special features printed on keys?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204436

This is what I did.

Then I press Fn+F4 for using the spotlight, Fn+F5 for using the dictation and Fn+F6 for using do not disturb. But it doesn't work.

Only three keys don't work. :(

Thank you.

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 7:06 AM

2 replies

Mar 30, 2021 6:34 AM in response to kswitch

Hey there, kswitch!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! From your post, it sounds like you're having trouble with the function keys on your Mac. We'll do our best to help with this!

To start, can you confirm that the keyboard shortcut works as expected without using standard keyboard functions? For example, can you open Spotlight with Command + Space bar? Spotlight keyboard shortcuts on Mac Check your shortcuts for any conflicts: If a keyboard shortcut doesn’t work on Mac

See if you the same thing occurs in safe mode and another user account:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Keep us updated.

All the best.

Why my MacBook Air 2020 (M1 Chip) doesn't work of F4, F5, F6 which are spotlight, dictation and do not disturb mode on Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.