Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Mojave be installed on separate APFS volume under Big Sur?

I would like to be able to boot into Mojave to run some older software that is not 64-bit. I found the following instructions online, https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/374846/can-mojave-be-installed-on-separate-apfs-volume-under-catalina, which seemed close enough.

I downloaded a copy of the Mojave installer ("Install macOS Mojave"). I used the following command to make a bootable installation media using a brand new 16GB USB flash drive.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/boot

I created a new APFS volume and called it Mojave.

Then I tried to boot from the Flash drive. I restarted, holding down the Option key and when the "Install macOS Mojave" drive appeared, I chose it. After a couple of minutes, it rebooted into recovery mode and said that my Flash drive needed to be reinstalled.

I used disk utility to erase the flash drive and repeated the command above to create the bootable drive. Tried to boot from it, as before, and again, it rebooted into recovery mode and said the Flash drive needed to be reinstalled.

I tried repairing the Flash drive but that didn't help.

Can anyone help?

I'm running 11.2.3 and I have no pending updates.

Here's my hardware specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

System Firmware Version: 1554.80.3.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.14347.0.0,0)

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 8:04 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Can Mojave be installed on separate APFS volume under Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.