Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there security concerns for iPhone CarPlay after I return my leased car?

I am returning my leased car that has been using CarPlay. Are there any security concerns I should have if my iPhone is not removed from CarPlay?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 1:37 PM

All the data that is used for CarPlay resides on your iPhone. The display on your car is used for just that and that is to display contents on the screen so that you have a visual. Once you disconnect your iPhone from CarPlay then nothing remains in your car's head unit.

Did you ever connect your iPhone to your leased car via bluetooth to make and receive calls and play music? I am not talking about CarPlay here but just a direct bluetooth connection when not using CarPlay. When you do that, you may have been asked whether you want to upload your contacts to your car's head unit. If you selected Yes, in the past, then you should delete/remove your iPhone from the bluetooth list in the head unit.

Did the leased car also have its own Navigation system? If YES then did you ever use it and stored HOME / WORK addresses? If YES then you should remove those destinations from there as well.

One good thing to know is that the dealer usually wipes out the head units of all leased cars that are brought back at the end of the contract. You can confirm this with your dealer if you need to.

The above also applies to rental cars .

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 1:37 PM in response to DigitalArtist

All the data that is used for CarPlay resides on your iPhone. The display on your car is used for just that and that is to display contents on the screen so that you have a visual. Once you disconnect your iPhone from CarPlay then nothing remains in your car's head unit.

Did you ever connect your iPhone to your leased car via bluetooth to make and receive calls and play music? I am not talking about CarPlay here but just a direct bluetooth connection when not using CarPlay. When you do that, you may have been asked whether you want to upload your contacts to your car's head unit. If you selected Yes, in the past, then you should delete/remove your iPhone from the bluetooth list in the head unit.

Did the leased car also have its own Navigation system? If YES then did you ever use it and stored HOME / WORK addresses? If YES then you should remove those destinations from there as well.

One good thing to know is that the dealer usually wipes out the head units of all leased cars that are brought back at the end of the contract. You can confirm this with your dealer if you need to.

The above also applies to rental cars .

Axel F.

Are there security concerns for iPhone CarPlay after I return my leased car?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.