Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie

I am using I movie and the speaker icon is gray instead of white. My video works but with no sound. How do I make it work?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 7:29 PM

Hi, dinorah104,

To cover the bases, the loudspeaker icon won't become activated until you select a clip that has sound in it. When the loudspeaker icon becomes activated, click on it and confirm that the Mute button next to the Auto button is deselected (i.e, no red line through it.

If the above doesn't solve it, try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

You could also create a new project and see if that solves it.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 7:29 PM in response to dinorah104

Hi, dinorah104,

To cover the bases, the loudspeaker icon won't become activated until you select a clip that has sound in it. When the loudspeaker icon becomes activated, click on it and confirm that the Mute button next to the Auto button is deselected (i.e, no red line through it.

If the above doesn't solve it, try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

You could also create a new project and see if that solves it.

-- Rich

Imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.