Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the passcode cannot be set (-1)

iPhone asked me to change the password. I entered the current passcode and it asked to enter the new code. I am not able to set the passcode and getting error “ the passcode cannot be set (-1) “, no matter what passcode I set.

I am not able to do anything on my phone but can receive calls.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 12:00 PM

Hi there AlexNow,

It sounds like you were prompted to change the passcode on your iPhone, and you're unable to do so because an error alert appears indicating it cannot be set. We're glad you're here, and we can help.

To start, it sounds like you may have a managed device or there is a configuration profile installed on your iPhone. Have a look at the 'If an alert says to change your passcode or you can't adjust your passcode settings' section of this support article to learn more:

Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

"Configuration profiles and email accounts based on Microsoft Exchange (common with business or education devices) sometimes have passcode policies that cause issues like this:

• You can't turn off your passcode.
  • You can't change passcode settings because they're unavailable, gray, or dimmed.
  • You see an alert about a Passcode Requirement. For example, you might see a message that says you must change your iPhone unlock passcode within 60 minutes."

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2021 12:00 PM in response to AlexNow

Hi there AlexNow,

It sounds like you were prompted to change the passcode on your iPhone, and you're unable to do so because an error alert appears indicating it cannot be set. We're glad you're here, and we can help.

To start, it sounds like you may have a managed device or there is a configuration profile installed on your iPhone. Have a look at the 'If an alert says to change your passcode or you can't adjust your passcode settings' section of this support article to learn more:

Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

"Configuration profiles and email accounts based on Microsoft Exchange (common with business or education devices) sometimes have passcode policies that cause issues like this:

• You can't turn off your passcode.
  • You can't change passcode settings because they're unavailable, gray, or dimmed.
  • You see an alert about a Passcode Requirement. For example, you might see a message that says you must change your iPhone unlock passcode within 60 minutes."

Take care.

the passcode cannot be set (-1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.