Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari update

my mac says no update foe safari but it isnt working in my browser? how do i update safari on my mac

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 11:35 AM

susanfromdublin 15 wrote:

I have an OS X EI Captain version 10.11.6

when i check if any updates on Mac it say no yet my safari browser is not working properly.

Please open 🍎 > About this Mac, and please post the Mac model and Mac model year that will be shown there.

It is the Mac model and the year that determines the available upgrade options.

Not the macOS version.

I,am well aware that you are running OS X 10.11 as that’s shown in the footer, and that there are no updates available for OS X 10.11. That is expected. Apple offers what they call updates, which are fixes and minor changes and not expected to cause problems for apps, and Apple offers what they call upgrades and which are larger changes and may or will cause some apps to fail, or to need updates or alternatives. It is an upgrade that we will be discussing here, and those are nor offered by default. With the Mac year, I can then determine which upgrades are available to you, and provide a pointer to those. As well as trade-offs or considerations for apps.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2021 11:35 AM in response to susanfromdublin 15

I have an OS X EI Captain version 10.11.6

when i check if any updates on Mac it say no yet my safari browser is not working properly.

Please open 🍎 > About this Mac, and please post the Mac model and Mac model year that will be shown there.

It is the Mac model and the year that determines the available upgrade options.

Not the macOS version.

I,am well aware that you are running OS X 10.11 as that’s shown in the footer, and that there are no updates available for OS X 10.11. That is expected. Apple offers what they call updates, which are fixes and minor changes and not expected to cause problems for apps, and Apple offers what they call upgrades and which are larger changes and may or will cause some apps to fail, or to need updates or alternatives. It is an upgrade that we will be discussing here, and those are nor offered by default. With the Mac year, I can then determine which upgrades are available to you, and provide a pointer to those. As well as trade-offs or considerations for apps.

Mar 27, 2021 11:09 AM in response to susanfromdublin 15

Safari is part of macOS, and not separate.

For a newer version of Safari and for newer connection security, your MacBook Pro will need an upgrade to macOS10.13, 10.14, 10.15, or 11.

Or you will need to use an alternative web browser.

Which macOS upgrades are available to you depends on which MacBook Pro 13” you’re using.

Use 🍎 > About This Mac to find the model year, and post that here.

From that info, we can provide which upgrades are options, and which can have considerations around apps.

Mar 27, 2021 11:48 AM in response to susanfromdublin 15

Thanks for the info I will look to replace Mac.

I’m not (yet) sure why you’re replacing the Mac, unless it’s a model year too old for (for instance) an upgrade 10.13.

A MacBook Pro from mid 2010 or later can upgrade from 10.11 to 10.13, and which will get you a newer version of Safari.

A MacBook Pro from mid 2012 can upgrade to 10.14, for instance.

Etc.

Which model year is shown for your Mac?

macOS updates and upgrades are free, too.

safari update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.