📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flights Climbed Not Recording

I’ve followed all the instructions (pasted below) in the forum to correct the issue of flights climbed not being recorded and it’s still not working.

On a walk today I climbed 60ft yet still only showing 1 flight.

What am I doing wrong

These are the instructions I followed:

If Flights Climbed are not being recorded as expected, then it may help to follow these steps:

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close certain apps and restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

Check that Wrist Detection is turned on and that, if passcode is enabled, you are unlocking your watch after placing it on your wrist

• On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Wrist Detection - turn on.

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness - check that both Fitness Tracking and Health are enabled.

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Privacy - check that both Fitness Tracking and Heart Rate are enabled.

Activity-related estimations depend, in part, on your personal information. To check that this is accurate:

• On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

Check that you are wearing your Apple Watch sufficiently snugly on the top of your wrist (if it is worn too loosely, your watch may believe that it has been removed from your wrist).

primary device

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 1:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 1:35 AM

But I don’t understand why it has registered the elevation change on the walk but not registered it in the Flights Climbed

This isn’t a one off either. It rarely counts more than 1 flight and I’m up and down stairs all day

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 30, 2021 1:15 AM in response to fruitloopster23

OK. In S3 it’s based on the barometer, measuring small changes in air pressure. Quite amazing considering, but probably also not that exact in all situations. I can imagine some special settings in the current environment could affect that.

Then in the Health App under "Flights Climbed," it defines it like this:

"A flight of stairs is counted as approximately 10 feet (3 Meters) of elevation gain (approximately 16 steps)."

Mar 30, 2021 1:56 AM in response to fruitloopster23

Gotcha, sorry I didnt really notice that huge gap in elevation vs stairs earlier. How are the actual data points matching with your daily routine? To check:

On your iPhone, in the Health app, go to: Health Data > Activity > Flights Climbed > Show All Data > <pick up a date>

I'm seeing input both from my phone and watch, with exact timings. is it the same with you, or is something clearly missing there?

Flights Climbed Not Recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.