Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" iMac Hard Drive Upgrade 2TB WD 2001FASS Temp Sensor ?

Hi,
i plan to upgrade my HD from the built in 1TB Seagate ST31000528ASQ to the 2TB Western Digital WD2001FASS. Actually the WD drive is already lying here on my desk.

The only Problem is the temp sensor,... it´s not an external one anymore, but there´s a 2-Pin cable connecting directly to the hard drive (they say, i didnt open the iMac yet). On http://files.macbidouille.com/mbv2/news/news1109/cables1.jpg you can see the different Connectors, but there´re always the same 2 Pins used... so it shouldnt be a real problem to solder it on the new drive or put a new Connector on the cables... on the picture above there are even the numbers to get it from an apple dealer.... so far so good.

My Problem is: The drive i bought has got an 8 Pin Connector instead of the 6 Pin Connector showed. On the WD Descriptions it says, that 6 of the Pins are used (eg switching to SATA1-compatibility, but none for temp ... http://support.wdc.com/images/kb/ssc_desktop.jpg)

I know about the option to shunt out the connector, so that the fan will only have 1000upm... instead of ±4000
But the WD drive is a very quick 7200Upm drive and it surely will get hot during use... not a good idea in the tight-fitted iMac enclosure.

Did anyone do it? or can give me a hint? Which Pins are used? - Maybe someone put his 1TB WD Model and knows.

Is the Temp Sensor a Diode or a resisitor, or even the RS232 some guys believe (i don´t)? Do only OEM HDs have the right connectors or firmware?

PS: I already did a lot of these things, please don´t tell me to go to a apple dealer... I´m gonna do it. Please excuse my imperfect English.

Late 2009 27" iMac C2D, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2010 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2010 6:29 AM

I can't give you all the details, but I can say that around the time of the 2009 models, Apple switched from using a sensor that was basically just glued or taped onto the drive to one being built into the drive. And while you could always choose not to connect this particular cable, it will cause your HDD fan to default into running at full speed all the time.

I have not seen any other drives, except those sent to me by Apple (I'm an ACMT) with those extra pins for the temp sensor, and a cursory look over the drive looks like there's a little extra PCB compared to other drives.

I can't guarantee it would work, but if you could get your hands on one of the old sensors from systems pre-2009, you could always see if that would work as a substitute. I'd say it's at least worth a try, and you can probably find that cable on ebay or something.

And have you ever taken apart an iMac before? I won't say it's hard, but it does require some not so common tools to do it properly, and there are some potential safety hazards to be aware of, like two exposed power supplies once you get the display off. And that glass on the front is not tempered, so it will break into very sharp little shards if you should drop it. You'll also need a T-10 Torx screwdriver to get the display panel off. Make sure it's magnetized, and even then the magnets holding the glass panel on will have a habit of grabbing the screws and your screwdriver.

Also keep in mind that by doing this, you will be voiding any warranty you may still have on that system. Meaning if you break it, you're paying to fix it, and that will NOT be cheap. So you may want to rethink your decision not to take it to either an Apple Store or AASP in your area.
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2010 6:29 AM in response to wunderleful

I can't give you all the details, but I can say that around the time of the 2009 models, Apple switched from using a sensor that was basically just glued or taped onto the drive to one being built into the drive. And while you could always choose not to connect this particular cable, it will cause your HDD fan to default into running at full speed all the time.

I have not seen any other drives, except those sent to me by Apple (I'm an ACMT) with those extra pins for the temp sensor, and a cursory look over the drive looks like there's a little extra PCB compared to other drives.

I can't guarantee it would work, but if you could get your hands on one of the old sensors from systems pre-2009, you could always see if that would work as a substitute. I'd say it's at least worth a try, and you can probably find that cable on ebay or something.

And have you ever taken apart an iMac before? I won't say it's hard, but it does require some not so common tools to do it properly, and there are some potential safety hazards to be aware of, like two exposed power supplies once you get the display off. And that glass on the front is not tempered, so it will break into very sharp little shards if you should drop it. You'll also need a T-10 Torx screwdriver to get the display panel off. Make sure it's magnetized, and even then the magnets holding the glass panel on will have a habit of grabbing the screws and your screwdriver.

Also keep in mind that by doing this, you will be voiding any warranty you may still have on that system. Meaning if you break it, you're paying to fix it, and that will NOT be cheap. So you may want to rethink your decision not to take it to either an Apple Store or AASP in your area.

Jul 30, 2010 7:30 AM in response to Scott Billings

Thanks for your reply.
Getting the temp sensor from an older iMac would be an idea to solve the problem... I already read about some guys who already did it and had no problems... they used the same manufactorer of the drive. But the internet is full people telling stories.

Looking at the drive again...
That you didn´t see those PINs at another drive worries me, because the WD drive i bought has a slot next to the 8 PIN connector that is as small, as if there could be the place for an 6 Pin Connector (maybe just little smaller)... but without any Pins... and there are no connections on the hd-board either.

I don´t expect great problems opening the iMac, as I said I already did alot of these things like opening laptops, soldering own circuits even SMD, fixing mobiles, repairing printers... changing my camshaft 🙂 - and i got lots of tools, including torx, a magnetizer and a air compressor (dust). I know about the warranty problem (that prevented me to do it earlier)

Do you know by chance the resistance of these old temp sensors (room temperature)... so i could guess if it´s a PTC or NTC.
fyi: PTC R = R0 · (1 + a · T) a = 3,85 · 10-3 / K
R0 is 100 Ohm for a PT100, 200 for a PT200 and so on

or even better: can you measure the resistance between the 2 used PINs at any of the drives (Seagate, WD or Hitachi, should be ±the same)

Aug 5, 2010 8:06 AM in response to wunderleful

I purchased https://www.applecomponents.com/items/0000004398/cable-temp-sensor-optical/?pn=1
which is a Optical Drive Temp Sensor, and it works.. tape it to the HDD just to the upper right of the sata plug on the back of the drive.. on the black aluminum; middle of the drive.(according to seagate, thats the optimal place for a temp sensor) and voila.. the answer..

How I came to this conclusion was, I originally took the optical drive thermal sensor from my ODD and put it on the HDD thinking this should work.. well the HDD temp and fans work perfectly.. and the ODD fan is at full blast.. so I tried to contact APPLE for the replacement ODD temp sensor.. Mistake.. and then I found the Link above.. and used it as a replacement.. TADA!!!

Aug 5, 2010 9:33 AM in response to tyrnight

My Hero ! - Thanks alot !!!

I upgraded my HDD last night. Changing the Disk was very easy. I extended the temp cable with a thin duplex-cable (with a little solder on the tips it fits in the jack) and put it outside of the case. While copying the most of the Data (± 1TB) i let the fan blow with full throttle... after that I shortened the cable, which reduced the fan´s rpm slowly to 1200 (from 4500rpm ->loud, could be even higher I heard)... My original plan was to try out what resistor I would have to use for having ...let´s say 2500rpm, which should be save concerning the cooling and o.k. for the loudness... I think I´ll try it for fun... while waiting for the sensor.

Thanks alot again - for spreading this information unselfishly !

(sorry for any mistakes... greets from Germany .-)

Feb 10, 2011 9:45 PM in response to wunderleful

Hello Wunderleful, i've changed my hard disk, just like you did. I made today 🙂, but the fun doesnt turn off like your problem. I have a new WD Caviar Green WD20000CSR 2tb and the old one is WD1001FALS.

I do not care about the size of the disk. I just changed it because the other made noise all the time. Now I have this new drive making a Fan noise all the time, doesnt turn off. Please help me ... If I just remove the cable, would solve the problem?

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iMac-Intel-27-Inch-Hard-Drive-Repl acement/1634/4

I put the cable like this site show me to do. Using the six next to cable sata.

Mar 29, 2011 8:04 PM in response to wunderleful

Hi, for anyone having issues with a overactive fan due to the HDD temp sensor not working, or are about to update HDD, I have created a program that will let you set a fan speed to HDD S.M.A.R.T temperature relationship.

I made this as I was having the same issue having upgraded my HDD to a model that doesn't provide the correct temperature using the sensor cable.

I started using smcFanControl with sleepwatcher but didn't like the manual setup and the fact I was limiting the fan speed no matter the HDD temperature. now thats not a problem.

You can grab the software from

http://www.hddfancontrol.com

Its heavily based on Fan Control, but has been modified for use with the iMac and the HDD Fan, and now reads HDD temp using S.M.A.R.T. It also controls the speed OK with the overactive fans.

Hope this helps some of you. Let everyone and me know if it does.

Thanks

Ben

27" iMac Hard Drive Upgrade 2TB WD 2001FASS Temp Sensor ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.