Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Library on external drive

I follow these instructions precisely and when I open the new copy of the iMovie library it shows all the media outlined in red and says "missing plugin"

I'm up to 50 gbs of iMovie data, it NEEDS to get onto an external drive: I really appreciate any advice or guidance about how to get this to work.

(the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with Ignore ownership checked as required by the instructions.)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 10:38 AM

Since you have precisely followed the instructions for placing an iMovie library on an external drive, but without success, you probably would benefit from contacting Apple Support. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

Sometimes upgrading to Catalina can cause plug-in issues associated with 32-bit components of legacy applications. Probably not causing your issue, since it appears that you have not upgraded to Catalina or Big Sur.

In any event, try Apple Support. The techs there may be able to cure the problem.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2021 10:38 AM in response to evbvd

Since you have precisely followed the instructions for placing an iMovie library on an external drive, but without success, you probably would benefit from contacting Apple Support. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

Sometimes upgrading to Catalina can cause plug-in issues associated with 32-bit components of legacy applications. Probably not causing your issue, since it appears that you have not upgraded to Catalina or Big Sur.

In any event, try Apple Support. The techs there may be able to cure the problem.

-- Rich

iMovie Library on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.