Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have triple duplicates for all contacts on iPhone 7, Macbook, and in iCloud after setting up iCloud. How to merge?

Previous answers to this questions have pointed to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203565 which points in to the generic https://support.apple.com/icloud which points back to the first web page in a circle. The only solution stated anywhere is to merge each contact entry one at a time. Is that really the only way?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 11:56 AM

I encountered a similar problem recently. The way I fixed it was by simply removing duplicates on my Mac.

1. Open Contacts
  2. In the menu, click Card
  3. Click Look for Duplicates...
  4. Merge if prompted
  5. Repeat #3 until a prompt tells you "no duplicates found"

If you synch your contacts with iCloud, there is nothing else to do. In case something goes wrong, you can always recover the original contact list (with its triplicates) by logging on iCloud, clicking Account Settings and clicking Restore Contacts.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 11:56 AM in response to ronfrommt

I encountered a similar problem recently. The way I fixed it was by simply removing duplicates on my Mac.

1. Open Contacts
  2. In the menu, click Card
  3. Click Look for Duplicates...
  4. Merge if prompted
  5. Repeat #3 until a prompt tells you "no duplicates found"

If you synch your contacts with iCloud, there is nothing else to do. In case something goes wrong, you can always recover the original contact list (with its triplicates) by logging on iCloud, clicking Account Settings and clicking Restore Contacts.

I have triple duplicates for all contacts on iPhone 7, Macbook, and in iCloud after setting up iCloud. How to merge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.