Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Time Machine use Time Capsule wirelessly as a backup drive only

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 9:09 AM

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the spare Ethernet ports on your wireless router to the "O" Ethernet port on the Time Capsule

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

This "Hard Reset" will erase the current network settings, but it will not affect any of the stored data on the Time Capsule hard drive

On your Mac......click on the WiFi menu at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Time Capsule, or it might just say Time Capsule

When you click on AirPort Time Capsule, that will start up the setup "wizard" automatically. The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network, then display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see a Time Capsule pictured.

Network Name.......Leave this alone for now. Later, we will turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule

Base Station Name......Type in a name that you want to call the Time Capsule. You can use the same name that you used before if you wish

Password.....Type in a password for the Time Capsule. You can use the same password as before if you wish

Verify.....Type in the password again to confirm

Click Next, and the wizard will apply the correct settings to the Time Capsule

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done

Should be a green light on the Time Capsule at this point

Important......now, log onto your regular router's WiFi network and try to run a Time Machine backup. The process may take longer than normal because of the chances that have occurred on the network.

Post back on your progress, and if all is well, we will turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule next, unless you need a spare network for the kids or guests, etc. We will also "tweak" a setting or two on the Time Capsule to help with reliability.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 9:09 AM in response to eswphd

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the spare Ethernet ports on your wireless router to the "O" Ethernet port on the Time Capsule

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

This "Hard Reset" will erase the current network settings, but it will not affect any of the stored data on the Time Capsule hard drive

On your Mac......click on the WiFi menu at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Time Capsule, or it might just say Time Capsule

When you click on AirPort Time Capsule, that will start up the setup "wizard" automatically. The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network, then display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see a Time Capsule pictured.

Network Name.......Leave this alone for now. Later, we will turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule

Base Station Name......Type in a name that you want to call the Time Capsule. You can use the same name that you used before if you wish

Password.....Type in a password for the Time Capsule. You can use the same password as before if you wish

Verify.....Type in the password again to confirm

Click Next, and the wizard will apply the correct settings to the Time Capsule

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done

Should be a green light on the Time Capsule at this point

Important......now, log onto your regular router's WiFi network and try to run a Time Machine backup. The process may take longer than normal because of the chances that have occurred on the network.

Post back on your progress, and if all is well, we will turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule next, unless you need a spare network for the kids or guests, etc. We will also "tweak" a setting or two on the Time Capsule to help with reliability.

Mar 31, 2021 12:28 AM in response to eswphd

Yes.. but..

How do you intend to set it up?

If you already have another wireless router.. just plug the TC into it by ethernet and turn off the TC wireless.. doing this you are backing up over wireless. Lots of recent posts about how to set this up.

Do you mean a free standing TC that your computer connects to every hour by some mechanism when it is connected to a different router means you are the mechanism. You must directly interact every hour to swap wifi connections.. do you really want to do that?

Tell us how you want this setup and what you are currently using as main router.

And do you use ethernet or wifi to the main router. Ethernet on any recent laptop from Apple means a TB to Ethernet or USB to Ethernet dongle.

Mar 31, 2021 9:38 PM in response to eswphd

It is possible to do it by plugging the TC into your wireless router by ethernet.. and simply configure it in bridge mode, and wireless off.. do not use it for anything then but backup.

The setup is pretty much automatic..

Only need to go in and fix up the wireless. Select off.

Ensure you use short names, no spaces and pure alphanumerics for the TC itself .. as that will help loads.

I would also make sure you set a static IP and turn off IPv6.

Select static and the current IP will swap to static i.e. won't change.. please just add a DNS like 8.8.8.8 to keep it happy.

Click Internet Options and turn IPv6 to link local only.

Mar 31, 2021 4:33 AM in response to eswphd

Are you asking whether Time Machine can back up using wireless to a Time Capsule?.......or.......Are you asking if a Time Capsule can connect to your wireless network using only a wireless connection?

Time Machine on a Mac can back up to a Time Capsule using a Wi-Fi connection, or a wired Ethernet connection.

A Time Capsule can connect to a WiFi network using only a wireless connection.......IF.......the wireless network is provided by another Apple AirPort router. But.....the connection will be super slow, with a much higher potential for things to go wrong.

A Time Capsule cannot connect to a WiFi network using only a WiFi connection if the WiFi is provided by a 3rd party router.

If you could clarify on exactly what you want to do and tell us about the make and model number of your router, we can provide more information.

Mar 31, 2021 8:22 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for your response. I want to use my (several year old) Time Capsule, which is not attached to my WiFi network, to back up my computer wirelessly. I only want to use it as a backup device, not as a router. If this is possible, can I use Time Machine to do it? I hope this is more clear than my original query.

Apr 1, 2021 5:38 AM in response to eswphd

I am asking whether Time Machine can back up using wireless to a Time Capsule.

Yes, if you connect the Time Capsule to your existing wireless router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection, set up the Time Capsule, then turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule, since you will be using your existing wireless router's wireless network.

Post back if you need step by step instructions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.