Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband 10.4.2 old files won't open

Hi, I recently got the new Garageband update and Big Sur and I cannot open any of my Garageband files. Can anyone help please? Matt

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 2:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 6:28 AM

And your previous version of GarageBand has also been a version of GarageBand 10.4 or a much older version?

Is your Desktop by any chance being synced with iCloud Drive? Then try, if you can open the GarageBand project, if you move it to your Music folder and it has been completely downloaded from iCloud. Do you have plenty of free storage on your Mac? At least 10GB? I just tested - with the current version of GarageBand 10.4? I just tested - My GarageBand 10.4.2 can even open GarageBand projects created in 2006 with a very old GarageBand version.

Can your current GarageBand installation create a new project and open it?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 6:28 AM in response to mattlf81

And your previous version of GarageBand has also been a version of GarageBand 10.4 or a much older version?

Is your Desktop by any chance being synced with iCloud Drive? Then try, if you can open the GarageBand project, if you move it to your Music folder and it has been completely downloaded from iCloud. Do you have plenty of free storage on your Mac? At least 10GB? I just tested - with the current version of GarageBand 10.4? I just tested - My GarageBand 10.4.2 can even open GarageBand projects created in 2006 with a very old GarageBand version.

Can your current GarageBand installation create a new project and open it?

Garageband 10.4.2 old files won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.