Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens if I turn off auto brightness?

I keep getting annoyed that the screen light keep changing for few times even I’m in the same place. And in the setting it said that if I turn off the auto brightness, it may effect battery life and long term display performance. Anyone can explain how turn it off could disturb my battery life and the display performance??

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 9:54 AM

The screen dims automatically if the ambient lighting is lower. Less brightness = less battery consumption. If you keep the display at a constant, potentially higher than required brightness, then battery life will be less than it would be with auto brightness. The display life will be affected if you keep brightness at full level I would think. The question though is why your display brightness changes when being in the same spot. That shouldn't happen. Are you maybe accidentally covering up the light sensor on the top of the display?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 9:54 AM in response to ainsufia

The screen dims automatically if the ambient lighting is lower. Less brightness = less battery consumption. If you keep the display at a constant, potentially higher than required brightness, then battery life will be less than it would be with auto brightness. The display life will be affected if you keep brightness at full level I would think. The question though is why your display brightness changes when being in the same spot. That shouldn't happen. Are you maybe accidentally covering up the light sensor on the top of the display?

What happens if I turn off auto brightness?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.