Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display settings keep showing up after turning off computer.

Every time I turn off my computer the display setting show up when I turn computer back on. It is laborious and not easy to change website and display settings every time I use my iMac. This has started to happen since installing Big Sur. I have used tech support X2 for this problem. But it keeps happening. How can I keep my settings so I don't have to redo it every time I log off??

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 10:08 PM

Hillsboro Burt Said:

"Display settings keep showing up after turning off computer: I made a mistake calling it display settings. I should have said ‘default settings’

———-

Thank your for the Update.

Getting things Back to Normal:

Three thoughts to try in the order provided:

A. Single Out this User:

For temporary use and troubleshooting purposes, create a new Administrator User, seeing if all shows up as it should. If so, then it is likely an issue with the current user itself. Once determined, delete this Administrator User.

B. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometime, changes (i.e. Update Installations) are made, and then settings (i.e. Finder GUI) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both. Note that is may take a few tries just to reset them successfully.

Use these Links:

C. Reset Finder:

Note that to reset Finder (so it operates correctly), you have to reinstall the macOS.

Why a Reinstall:

If you reinstall the macOS, nothing would be deleted. All intended, original files and Apps that came on your macOS would be reinstalled (which includes the Finder GUI). It’s all about keeping your system files intact.

Time Machine Backup:

Important: Prior to the reinstallation, Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong, doing the install.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 10:08 PM in response to Hillsboro Burt

Hillsboro Burt Said:

"Display settings keep showing up after turning off computer: I made a mistake calling it display settings. I should have said ‘default settings’

———-

Thank your for the Update.

Getting things Back to Normal:

Three thoughts to try in the order provided:

A. Single Out this User:

For temporary use and troubleshooting purposes, create a new Administrator User, seeing if all shows up as it should. If so, then it is likely an issue with the current user itself. Once determined, delete this Administrator User.

B. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometime, changes (i.e. Update Installations) are made, and then settings (i.e. Finder GUI) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both. Note that is may take a few tries just to reset them successfully.

Use these Links:

C. Reset Finder:

Note that to reset Finder (so it operates correctly), you have to reinstall the macOS.

Why a Reinstall:

If you reinstall the macOS, nothing would be deleted. All intended, original files and Apps that came on your macOS would be reinstalled (which includes the Finder GUI). It’s all about keeping your system files intact.

Time Machine Backup:

Important: Prior to the reinstallation, Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong, doing the install.

Mar 31, 2021 9:24 PM in response to Hillsboro Burt

Hillsboro Burt Said:

"Display settings keep showing up after turning off computer."

-------

Remove Login Items:

Two Steps:

I. Force Quit: ALL Apps that are running.

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Each Item
  4. Click: Force Quit button
  5. Select: Finder
  6. Click: Relaunch button

Then..

II. Remove Login items:

See if something opens at log in that is staying open, causing this issue to occur. Then, restart the Mac, seeing if it will load.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Display settings keep showing up after turning off computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.