Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Treadmill workout tracking on apple watch

Yesterday I worked out on the treadmill for 30 minutes, 3 mph pace and 12% incline for the entire workout, with my hands on the heart rate monitor on the treadmill for most of the workout.

I used the Indoor Walk activity in the activity app to monitor the workout.

Although the heart rate was accurate in both devices, Apple Watch was way off on the pace, and about 100 meters off on the distance, without any notice of the steep incline.

obviously there was a big gap in calories burned on the watch vs the treadmill.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 7

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 4:51 AM

I too have found Apple watches are terrible at tracking both pace and distance on treadmills. I just finished a 6 mile run at a 7:10 pace on the treadmill, however, my watch said 5.5 miles with an 8:00 minute pace. Just stick with what the treadmill said. If possible, get outside and do the outdoor run as that one is accurate.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2021 4:51 AM in response to galit238

I too have found Apple watches are terrible at tracking both pace and distance on treadmills. I just finished a 6 mile run at a 7:10 pace on the treadmill, however, my watch said 5.5 miles with an 8:00 minute pace. Just stick with what the treadmill said. If possible, get outside and do the outdoor run as that one is accurate.

Apr 1, 2021 6:59 AM in response to galit238

I have found that treadmills are very bad at this type of monitoring.

Make sure the your personal information is up to date in the health App.

Height, weight, age, sex

Reset your fitness calibration data

From your iPhone>Watch>Privacy>Reset Fitness Calibration Data>Tap this

You will just get a confirmation box that tells you that your metrics will not be as good if you do this.

Tap confirm and do it. You will get nothing else, no confirmation but it is done.

Then go for a 20 minute outdoor run or walk using the workout app at your normal speed on a flat road/path etc

This will re-calibrate the watch

Treadmill workout tracking on apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.